(6) Ages: 17 & 14

Ages: 17 & 14

"Jenny! Let's go!" James yelled across the school parking lot impatiently. She had been talking to some guy near the entrance of the door for almost twenty minutes and James had been ready to go since school let out which was nearly half an hour ago. He watched curiously as Jenny said goodbye to the boy and rushed towards his parents' car. Rolling his eyes in agitation, he swung open the driver's side door. "Finally." He sat down and started the ignition before turning to Jenny. "Who were you talking to?" Jenny buckled her seat belt and remained silent with a large smile and dazed look plastered across her face. "Hello?" He asked louder, trying to get her attention while she stared blankly out the windshield. "Jennifer!"

She shook her head briefly and turned back to James with a look of confusion. "What?"

"What's up with you?" With a raised eyebrow, he glanced over at her.

"Nothing." She said weakly and tried to hide the large smile growing on her face by looking down at the books in her lap.

James gave her a look, letting her know he could see right through her lie, but she just turned away. He continued glancing over at her every few seconds, just waiting for her to crack. Patience was definitely not a trait he lacked.

She slowly began to turn and face him before reluctantly speaking. "Okay, there is something and I kind of need your help." She spoke quickly and by then her body had twisted in his direction as she slid her right ankle beneath her left leg.

He noticed her excitement and his eyes widened for a moment. "No, I'm not taking you to the mall to get your navel pierced with Kaitlyn." James joked, remembering how she would beg him to drive her and her best friend to the mall so they could get their belly button pierced against her parent's wishes. She seemed to overlook the fact that he was only seventeen and wouldn't be able to give permission for something like that anyway.

Jenny rolled her eyes and continued moving closer as she prepared to beg. "No, I need you to drive me to Pete's Pizza Shack tonight and tell our parents that you are taking me for ice cream."

Although her request didn't involve piercings, it still involved lying; one skill he did lack. "And why would I do something like that?" He asked, not really looking forward to her answer.

She sighed and shrunk down in her seat a bit. "You promise not to tell the rents?"

James couldn't help but smirk at her terminology. "Promise, Lil' Weezy."

"Kyle Jacobson asked me out."

"Who?" His voice came out louder and slightly more agitated than he intended.

"Shampoo dude?" Jenny clarified, hoping it would jog his memory from the day he read her diary.

"Oh."

She sat there for a moment; waiting for him to respond but soon became impatient. "So? Will you help me?"

"Well...no." He said almost immediately with a smirk on his face. Unlike when he was eleven, telling Jenny 'no' had become something he was quite good at. He was rather fond of it as well, especially in those moments.

Jenny's expression dropped to disappointment in an instant. "What? Why not?!"

"Because it's stupid," he pointed out bluntly. "Why wouldn't you just tell your parents? I'm sure they would be happy to make the lucky guy a nice root beer float before you head over to Pete's; the Pizza Love Shack." He said arrogantly while grimacing on the inside at the mere thought.