(38) Ages: 22 & 19

Ages: 22 & 19

The first thing James had promised to do once he took over ownership of the restaurant was change the name. Kicken Chicken didn’t exactly encompass his hopes and dreams for a classy dining establishment, but it did encompass a history and past for the restaurant he never wanted to erase. Which is why the name stayed the same, and the large sign outside received an extreme makeover, along with everything inside the building. James had concluded that the last time the restaurant received a paint job was when Roger bought the place in 1965. In one month, James had basically done a small remodeling of the entire building. There were still things that needed to be touched up and walls that could use a little more paint but as James stood off to the side in admiration of what he had accomplished in such a short amount of time, he was proud. He was proud of himself and in that one brief moment he knew, that was his greatest accomplishment. The small bell above the door chimed as a familiar old man stepped inside with a cane at his side. He took a few glances at every wall and a small curve appeared on the right side of his wrinkled lips. James stepped towards him; his footsteps were slow as he took notice of the man’s expression. “Come to tell me what a mess I’m making of your restaurant?”

“Yeah, your sign outside looks like shit.”

James laughed along with the old man and walked with him over to an empty table to sit down. “What’s with the cane, old man?”

The man’s eyes narrowed as he lifted the cane just an inch from the cane. “Call me an old man again and you’ll see firsthand one of its many uses.”

James smirked at the man’s response before turning the mood a bit more sincere with his tone. “I’m glad you came by, Roger.”

“Yeah, well, I had to see just how badly you’ve ruined my place.”

“And the verdict?”

“Well, the tile makes me dizzy, the color of the walls look like piss and the tables look like shit but other than that…,” Roger’s face softened as he glanced around the room one more time. “I hate to say the place hasn’t looked better in thirty years.”

“Thanks, Roger,” James emphasized gratefully, unable to hide his smile.

“Alright, enough of the sentimental crap. It’s been three months. What’s the worst thing about the new job?”

Taking a deep breath and leaning back in his chair, James thought a moment before responding truthfully. “Well, it’s probably managing enough time for everything. Between scheduling repairs, making sure this place is running smoothly every day and balancing an actual life outside of work, I barely have time to sleep.” James shook his head in admiration. “I don’t know how you did it for so long.”

“You’ll see. It gets easier.”

“Maybe so but I have a feeling it’s not going to get any easier anytime soon.” With shaking hands, James reached into his pocket and pulled out a small diamond ring. He held it out and he smiled excitedly. “I’m planning on asking soon. I just want everything to be perfect and I need to know this place is going to run smoothly while I’m away taking care of wedding details or on my honeymoon.”

“Marriage, huh?” Roger’s face still held no expression as he stared back at James.

“Marriage.”

“Do you love her, kid?”

“Very much.”

Leaning back in his chair, the man took a tighter grip on the cane in his right hand. “You know, I’ve only been in love with one woman my whole life and I let her get away. I always knew I’d be in love with her but more than anything, I knew she would be the greatest friend I would ever have and that’s how I knew. That’s how I knew I loved her and that I would until the day I died.” The man paused a moment and James listened closely, his palms growing damp as he held tight to the diamond ring clenched between his thumb and index finger. “Your girl, is she your best friend?”