(44) Ages: 22 & 19

Ages: 22 & 19

Jenny had been in town for almost two weeks with almost no luck in retrieving what had been lost between her and James. She left Keira’s that Saturday with a new plan in mind and it took her straight to James’ apartment with three bags hanging from her arms.

“Jenny, what-,“ James began to question after swinging open his door but Jenny pushed past him and into the apartment before he could finish his sentence.

“Keira and I got into a fight. Do you think I could stay here, just for a few nights?” She rushed straight to the point as she played the frustration out on her face like a pro.

“I don’t think that’s such a good idea, Jenny.” He slowly protested, but Jenny dropped her bags on the floor and moved towards him.

“Please, Jameson.” Her expression pleaded as she folded her hands in front of her chest.

“Why don’t you stay at my parent’s house? I’m sure they would love to have you.” He recommended casually, feeling sympathetic for her obvious desperation.

“I don’t want to put them out.”

“Oh, but you have no problem putting me out?” He asked, giving a familiar, humorous smirk.

“Have I ever?” She responded sarcastically.

James sighed deeply before motioning to the couch. “I guess you can crash on the couch for a few nights.”

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!” She exclaimed before rushing into his arms.

“But only a few nights.” He repeated harshly, putting his hands on her shoulders and pushing her away slightly. “Then you’re on the streets, go it?”

She laughed and nodded in agreement although she knew he was only joking. “Got it.” James would have given up his apartment and made a home under a bridge before putting Jenny on the streets.

James’ cellular phone began ringing from inside his pants pocket and Jenny turned back towards the couch to give him some privacy. “Whoa, whoa, slow down.” He quickly ordered as he paced the small living room. “No, Rick, that’s not normal.” He said into the phone as if he was talking to someone who spoke a foreign language. Sighing deeply, James tossed his head back. “I’m coming right now. Try not to let the oven burn down the restaurant, okay?” He ended the call and immediately grabbed his things to make a quick exit from the apartment.

“What’s wrong?” Jenny asked with concern as she watched him scurry from room to room.

“Two waiters called in sick today and my cook is having issues with our new oven. I need to go in and pick up the slack.”

“Well, let me go with you.” She offered immediately, anxious for the opportunity to show her true intentions. “I can be a waitress.”

James hesitated at the door and looked back at her in skepticism. “Have you even worked a day in your life?”

Glaring at him, she popped a hand on her hip. “I resent that. I’ll have you know I applied for work-study at my school.”

“Alright, come on.” He waved her out the door and she smiled proudly before grabbing her things. “What kind of work study did they give you?” He asked in curiosity just as they were walking out the door.

“I don’t know, I never made it past the application process.” She answered frivolously as she exited the apartment and James shook his head, smirking all the while.  

~

“Rick, where are those tuna sandwiches on rye? Table five’s been waiting for twenty minutes.” James begged as he carried two plates to a nearby table.