chapter 7

CHAPTER  7

J e o n   J u n g k o o k

    The night was hot though the sky had a special kind of blackness, the kind that wanted only to hold the stars and help them shine brighter than usual

    The night was hot though the sky had a special kind of blackness, the kind that wanted only to hold the stars and help them shine brighter than usual. The sun came down an hour ago, they have spent a tiring time of dinner at the restaurant in downtown LA. All the staff were exhausted, all the band members were way too tired to even function humanely. And though they had flown to Los Angeles a day early, and had a day to themselves, the depletion of strength was inevitable. Especially if they haven't seen any of their family for months now.

    Jungkook sat near the window in the vehicle they rode into, he stared deep into the dark clouds, lost at how bright the stars were and how round the moon was. For him, nighttime was the best time. It was when the scorching heat surrendered to the onshore breeze and the stars came as if to welcome him back to the hours of comfort and rest.

    "I've never seen stars in LA this bright. . ." Areum whispered to herself, she sat in between Jungkook and Namjoon, the three of them were the last people to get into the car. Her small eyes were fixated outside the car, and she smelled like vanilla with a hint of fresh mints.

    She leaned back, away from Jungkook when she realized how close she was to him. Areum shifted on her seat, turning away slightly from him. Back at the restaurant as she was getting into the car, she hesitated to sit next to him, as if she didn't want to sit close to Jungkook, yet she didn't have any choice but to do so. He took a brief look at her as she started a conversation with Namjoon. She was something else, he thought.

    Areum and Namjoon made up really quick. They were just about to kill each other minutes ago and now they're both laughing at something Namjoon had shown her on his phone. Jungkook found it a little weird how the two made up in seconds, he even felt bad for Areum when Namjoon disclosed her past without showing any guilt. Namjoon seemed over protective of her so he did surprise everyone when he uncovered some truths behind Areum's  supposed 'beautiful' persona. How can a selfless person who insisted on fixing the cameras so the staff can enjoy their meal, could have zero remorse and lock up a sunbae when she was just twelve years old? Jungkook couldn't get rid of his curiosity on different layers that existed in Song Areum—a curiosity that wasn't worth it, because he had more important things to think about than the girl sitting beside him, and to top it all off, he can't be distracted by Areum while he was still in love with someone else.

Jungkook shifted his eyes quickly as soon as his unsteady heartbeat almost led him to doubt his feelings for someone important to him. Song Areum, that complicated and baffling creature of a woman. She could hide pain and sorrow behind those dark brown eyes and sweet smiles as beautiful as spring. A generous, benevolent woman hides a feisty nature she couldn't control.