chapter 50

CHAPTER 50

Song Areum

It's always been a little darker in the urban Village Areum and her family reside compared to the City

It's always been a little darker in the urban Village Areum and her family reside compared to the City. She used to feel bad whenever Namjoon walked alone in that street after sending her home in multiple occasions she threw tantrums and ran away. He always found her and brought her home.

She intertwined her fingers together, uneasiness slowly overtook her once confident stance as they passed the last house on the block before their house.

There was an odd warmth and excitement behind her anxiety of stepping back into their front door.

For years she dreaded to come home, it was only now she realized, she had been lying to herself all along.

The reason why she didn't come to visit her family in Seoul was that she was afraid she may not leave them again. Deep down, she knew she loved Seoul and that she craved her parents' warmth closeby.

Her mother moved beside her and fixed her perfectly straightened hair as they approached the matte black gate to their property.

The driver pressed something in front and the gate gently opened in front of them.

Areum tilted her head to steal a glance on their well-lit house against the round landscape in the middle of their driveway.

The City felt foreign to her but not their house. It was the same as it was when she left, perhaps it was because she spent all her childhood at home and maybe the city had always been foreign to her.

The car stopped behind a black SUV parked in their driveway. The driver got out and opened the door on her mother's side before proceeding to open hers, guiding her out of the vehicle.

She felt odd taking his offer. Areum didn't feel she was special enough to have someone escort her out as such. A part of her felt like the extravagant part of her life was only borrowed—she'd need to try harder to deserve it.

Her parents always treated her like a princess of their small castle, and princesses must always be flawless—and trying to live up to being perfect was exhausting.

She breathed in the fresh air from the trees and small plants around their house, the smell of grass and clean laundry filled her nose.

It smelled exactly like her childhood. Suddenly,  it dawned on her that she was finally home and there was no way she'd ever leave Seoul and seek refuge to a foreign country.

Her mother took her small hands, waking her from her pondering emotions and thoughts.

"Come, your father's home early." her mother held her close as they took the first step to their marbled floor foyer.