- Chapter Two -

Your hands glided over the steering wheel, the satisfying feeling of the car's comforting presence brushing up against as you as you drove. You hadn't seen Changbin since you'd shown up at his door in one of his pack member's cars, but he had made no move to contact you and ask for the car back, so naturally, you now claimed the car as your own and Changbin was never going to see it again.

You still missed seeing Chan sitting beside you in the front seat. The first few days after he left, you would turn to speak to him about anything that rattled on in your head, only for your heart to sink when you remembered he was gone for good. It was a pretty rough few weeks after he left.

Shaking your head sharply, you dispelled any thoughts of Chan from your head. One week with him and suddenly things could never be the same for you anymore. Six months later and it was still hard to drag your mind away from the time you had spent with him. But right now you needed to focus on your job. This Rozog goblin didn't sound like a quick fix, and you couldn't afford to be distracted when you got there.

You probably should have left earlier than you did as well. Mammon had said they didn't know how long the goblin was going to stay in the one place, meaning it was essential you got out there as soon as you could, but also, you were covered head to toe in disgusting gnome gunk. So as soon as you left the Criminal Justice Quarters, you made a quick detour to your house to wash off. You weren't worried about your parents coming around, they didn't want anything to do with you anymore. It had taken a while, but eventually your parents had demoted you, the first time in history that the firstborn was deemed unworthy of taking over the Jurisdictive Quarters. Your younger sister was then nominated in your place. You were glad of that at least, you knew she wasn't going to screw things up.

The pull of the Devil's Highway guided you down the road. It was one of your most useful tools for the job. A lot of the time you weren't given a destination, only a name and you had to do a little snooping to figure out a general area of where your target was located, but once you did, the Highway took you where you needed to go.

From there it usually went two ways. Once your target realised you had found them, they either ran away in panic or stepped up and tried to fight you. So far, none of your targets had been successful, but still, every single time, they always tried to get out of it. You wanted this assignment to just be a quick one, you were praying to catch a break.

For now, you let your head loll against the headrest of your seat as the car glided across the road, turning when you needed to, speeding up when there was nobody around. By the time you arrived at your destination, the sun was still blazing in the sky. Luckily, summer was long gone, so when you stepped out of the car you were met with a crisp breeze that fluttered your hair.

You stood in front of the house with your hands on your hips, a frown on your face. This was definitely not what you were expecting. You thought it was strange when you pulled into a normal looking residential town, but you were even more suspicious when you stopped your car in front of a perfectly unassuming house. It looked nearly identical to the twenty others up and down the street. The most odd thing about it was the silence. It was the middle of the week, so you supposed people could have been at work or school, but there was absolutely no movement from anywhere in the street. Particularly the house in front of you.

The curtains and doors were closed tight so you couldn't see inside, but the front door was open a wedge. You knew you were in the right place, and you knew Rozog had set something up that he wanted you to walk into. You weren't a fan of that. His file said he mastered in deception, so you decided walking in the open front door was not something you wanted to do.

Instead, you walked for the gate, rattling it to see if it was open, and launching yourself up and over it when you saw the padlock. Thankfully there was a back door into the house from the backyard. It was locked when you tried the handle, but you weren't going to give in that easy. Wrapping your hand around the doorknob, your hand warmed as magic poured from your palm, quietly disabling the lock.