- Chapter Sixteen -

Your fingers twitched as you watched some unknown witch slice your palm open with a scalpel. You barely registered it but Chan flinched as if the pain was his own, both of you watching as blood started to pool out of the fresh cut.

"Is this really necessary?" Chan grimaced as the witch swooped one of her fingers through your blood and started to swipe it across the exposed skin on Chan's arm, his long shirt was rolled up to his biceps. Even though later he was going to be wrapped up in about ten inches of armour, this was an added - and necessary - precaution.

The witch didn't say anything as she continued to draw protective symbols on Chan's skin, dipping back into the pool of blood in your palm when necessary. "It was either my blood or yours, and I'm a lot more power in it than yours does."

"Still feels gross." Chan squirmed as the bloody symbols dried on his skin. You weren't overly fond of this witch putting her hands all over Chan, but you'd both agreed that it was better if you preserved your energy. And the witch was more adequately trained in protective spells and healing, she'd likely do a much better job than you ever could.

You looked around, taking in the packed room, hundreds and hundreds of other people engaging in similar activities, donning special armour and weapons, performing protective rituals and drawing on their own defensive spells. The entire room was buzzing with tension. Looking out the window you could see people spilling out into the garden, your sister flitting between them, checking up on everyone, providing help where she could.

You knew people would be scared, absolutely terrified about what was going to happen in just a few hours. But they didn't look it. All fear and terror was veiled by thick layers of determination. It was terrifying in itself, all of these people who had likely never known war, not trained to cope with this amount of trauma and loss, and still, you had yet to see one person who wasn't ready to face it all head on. Including Chan.

"Are you going to be alright?" You asked him again, voice softer as you watched him, heart already aching at the fact you were going to have to leave him again in a few minutes. Your free hand fiddled with the strap across your chest, your sword a comforting presence at your back.

"I promise I'm going to be alright, I'm with your sister, in her house, nothing is going to happen." He assured you, but it didn't stop your stomach from churning.

"Yes I know, but I'm not going to see you again until after... all this is finished," You sighed, "I wish I didn't have to leave early."

"If you don't then everything we've done will have been for nothing. I'm going to be alright, we would have had to split up at some point anyway." Chan looked at you sincerely, his soft eyes assuring you that he really was going to be fine.

You didn't know if the witch doing his spells was paying any attention to what you were saying, but if she was she had no reaction. She carefully sliced your hand open again, the cut having healed over after your speed healing kicked in. You watched her in silence as she finished off the rest of Chan's protective spells. When they were finished and dry she carefully rolled down his sleeves and moved onto the next person with only a small thank you from Chan.

"God, I don't want to leave you." Your words were muffled as you rested your head on Chan's chest, soaking in the feeling of his arms wrapped around you. You clutched the front of his shirt as hard as you could, taking in his scent, the feel of him against you, imprinting his memory in your brain... just in case. You didn't want to think about anything happening to him, but it was a fear you couldn't escape. Here you were, about to go head to head with perhaps one of the most powerful beings in existence and you were worried about the life of a human. To be fair, he was a pretty god damn amazing human.