Epilogue

Location: Mines
Time: 0641

Y/N

The sun blinded our eyes as we reached the mouth of the Mines. "Are we finally out?!" Jess lets out with a hint of anticipation. "It looks like it." Matt replied with a relieved tone.

"We just have to go down and make our way back to the lodge." I let out as I started making my way down. Suddenly, the sounds of metal wings flapping could be heard in the distance. The sound only became more evident. And, in time, a helicopter appeared and stopped in front of us.

I squinted to see two people in the helicopter. "Is that our ride?!" Matt calls out. "Looks like it!" I say as the helicopter releases a rope ladder. "Get on!" The pilot calls to us.

"Mat, you go first." I tell him. He nods and starts climbing the ladder. I turn to Jess and motion her over. "What?" Jess lets out confused. I only shook my head and fell on a knee.

"You're hurt, and you can't hide it, Jess. Just don't let go when I'm climbing." I tell her, waiting for her to get on my back. After a few seconds, Jess finally gets on my back.

I stood up to my full height and grabbed onto the ladder. "Don't let go." I tell her. "Don't drop me." She says back. "I won't." I replied as I started climbing up the ladder.

Reaching the helicopter, Matt helps Jess in as I settle myself on the side. "Is there anyone else?" The pilot asks us. All three of us look at each other before I answered.

"There's a straggler somewhere in the Mines. Can you send one of your people to go get him?" I requested. The pilot nods and speaks into his radio. My feet dangled from the side as I watch the winter forest below me.

"Hey, Y/N?" Jess calls out to me. "Yeah?" I turn to her. "Mike... is he...?" She starts, looking down on her lap. "He's fine. I'm sure of it." I said with a little too much confidence.

"And the same goes for Emily, Matt." I turn to him, catching him off guard. "That's good to hear." Matt lets out. I nodded as the much needed peaceful silence fell over us.

Police Station

"I'm just glad that everyone is safe... or I hope everyone is..."

"Josh... we were the best of buds, the brother I never had. Did you find him?"

A search team is still looking for your friend, unfortunately. Please --

"Tell you all what happened in the mines, the Washington Lodge, the Sanatorium, and all of that jazz. I know."

How did you end up in the mines?

"I didn't end up there... I had to go there regardless..."

I'm afraid I don't follow.

"It won't make sense at all, but it all happened. To see the horrors my friends and I saw... you'll have to go there down yourself."

Speaking of your friends. They have mentioned about a madman and a stranger?

"The madman was all a stupid prank... to get back at us for his sisters' deaths... It was all my fault... I'll have to live through all of that... and there's no way I can be forgiven..."

.

.

.

"Sorry... the stranger, the old man that saved mine and my friends' lives. He was like a mini instructor... telling me what and not what to do with the Wendigos."

Wendigos?

"An Algonquin folklore that turned out to be factual. Read up on it. It's for sure going to give you a scare."

One of your friends expressed a great amount of interest in you.

"Where's Sam? Is she -- ?!"

She's perfectly fine. She is current;y resting in one of the rooms in the station.

"Are you done? I would like to go see her now."

Sir, you're badly injured and your temperature is getting deathly low. We advise that you --

"I swam through cold water with no shoes. I ran through snow barefooted. I even survived several falls and hits. You can't tell me just now that I need to be hospitalized.

As you say, sir. Please be ready to be brought in again for further questioning.

"Understood."

Walking out of the room, I quickly asked for directions to the hospital ward. After doing so, I jogged my way to Sam.

. . .

Closing the door behind me, I slowly made my way to Sam's side. When I entered the room, I found Sam sleeping soundly. I grabbed a chair and sat next to her.

I held her hand and softly kiss it. "I'm glad you're safe." I softly spoke. I felt her hand slowly tightened around mine. I looked up to see her Hazel eyes slowly widen at my presence. "Y/N?!" She lets out.

"I'm back." I say with a small smile. Suddenly, she envelopes me in a tight hug and I gladly returned it.We stayed like this for several minutes until she lets go. "I'm glad you're back." She says with a smile, now holding my hands.

"Mhm," I simply replied. "Anything on your mind?" I asked her as I caressed her hands with my thumbs. "No," She shakes her head. "The only thing on my mind is you." She says with a blush. I softly chuckle to myself.

"That's so cheesy, Sammy." I tell her with a blushed face. "What's wrong with being cheesy? I thought you liked it when I'm cheesy." She says, getting a little offended. "Yeah, that's what I loved you in the first place." I say placing my hand on her cheek.

Sam melted into my hand with a smile on her face. "I'm just so glad to see you here..." Sam confessed. "Same here." I replied. I comfortably laid my head on her lap. "So... what now?" I asked out loud.

"You want some coffee when we get out of here?" Sam asks. I turn to her. "Are you asking me out on a date?" I ask teasingly. "It doesn't have to be a date, N/N." She smiles goofily. "It can be whatever you want it to be." She says as she parts my bangs.

I felt at peace. Staring adoringly into her hazel eyes. I felt at peace. The way her hair fights against the Earth's gravity. I'm at peace.

Unconsciously, I held her face in my hands and brought her face to me... and placed a kiss on her forehead. I let go of her to see an almost disappointed face. "Why do you look upset?" I asked her, getting nervous.

"You idiot..."

Before I could say anything else, she held my own face and placed a deep kiss on my own, precious lips. Teasing her earlier, I only chuckled and gave into the kiss.

'Yeah... this was what I wanted all along...'

:')