14. crazy for you~madonna

tw: mentions of abuse in one small part towards the end of the chapter !!

14. crazy for you~madonna

Eren's POV

Letting the back door click softly behind me, I held my breath at the knot forming in my chest at the imminent presence of my mother. There were footsteps and the lurching of my beating heart, and then in a flurry of red fabric and jet black hair, Mikasa had appeared in front of me, spinning me around in a hug. Her immense strength never failed to startle me.

Jumping backwards as she returned me to my regular upright position, I glanced around with wild eyes, only calming at her soft touch on my shoulder.

"It's okay, Eren," she said. "You can relax. Mom's not here."

Her words caused me to exhale deeply, grateful that my anxiety could cease. Regardless, Mikasa was a ball of excited energy all of a sudden, a rare sight. "So, how did it go?" she asked through a poorly-hidden grin, bringing up her scarf to cover her mouth and hide her enthusiasm. "I want you to tell me everything."

"It went alright," I mumbled with a shrug, trying to play it off as casual. "I guess Armin and I kissed."

"Holy shit! Eren! Really? That's great!" Mikasa was gripping my arms again, and I could tell that she was smiling wide beneath her scarf.

"Yeah, yeah," I answered, starting to climb the stairs to my room. She followed closely behind me. I flopped down onto my lumpy mattress, a stark contrast from Armin's bed that felt like sleeping on a cloud, and Mikasa tossed herself beside me, her raven hair fanning every which way.

"Start from the beginning. How was it? How was the party, what did Armin wear? Did you take pictures? Can I see?"

Chuckling, I nodded at her barrage of questions. "Armin and I took pictures, yeah." I unlocked my phone, finding the scroll of self-timer pictures we took in our outfits, followed by the many with friends and random strangers as the night progressed. I handed the phone to Mikasa to eagerly swipe through. "You should've come. Annie was asking for you."

"Yeah, no chance in hell that was happening," she snorted, rubbing her eye and smudging her black eyeliner.

Mikasa hated parties. Nothing on earth was convincing enough for her to attend a party. Not pleading from her best friend Annie, not bribery, not an elaborate ruse to surprise her for her birthday—not even the promise of unlocking the secrets of life itself, probably, would get Mikasa to leave her cave of a bedroom to attend a loud and crowded social gathering. Especially not a bash as extravagant as Jean's.

"But yeah...it was really so much fun. I'm very happy I invited Armin."

"These are so super cute," Mikasa said in reference to the photos. She dropped my phone back onto my bed, her gaze flitting up to the ceiling. "Details please."

I told her everything about the party from start to finish. I told her about Armin's appearance, which took my breath away. I told her about the colliding of my two separate worlds—my friends from school and Armin. I told her about the fun adventures we had inside of Jean's house which was a maze of neverending doors, and how we watched fireworks explode in the air right in front of us. Nudging me with purpose as I wrapped up the story, Mikasa laughed.

"Okay. That all sounds amazing. But you left out a really important part..."

Grabbing my pillow from the corner of my bed, I buried my face in it to hide the reddish tint of my cheeks. "Yeah. Well. I kissed him. And he kissed me. We kissed a lot. At the party and at his house. Also just now, in the driveway." I said the last part in the quietest of mumbles, and yet Mikasa still whooped with joy and shook my shoulder until I revealed my face, laughing until my ribs were sore.