12. glitter~tyler the creator

Armin's POV

It was seven-thirty on New Year's Eve. I was standing in my bathroom mirror, trying to get my hair to sit completely flat, smoothing down excess frizz. Stepping back to look at myself, I felt the beginnings of a smile on my lips.

I felt beautiful. Handsome. There were clips in my shoulder-length blonde hair, pinning my bangs back, and my blue bow tie accentuated my eyes, contrasting with my black suit jacket. I was ready.

The doorbell rang, and I basically sprinted to it. Eren stood on my doorstep and took my breath away. He was wearing a suit—a suit—and a white dress shirt, and his hair was combed to perfection, and he looked incredible. I was practically drooling.

"You look so good," I blurted out, before I could stop myself. I felt my face flush with the wrath of a thousand suns, and Eren looked shy, grinning down at his shoes.

"Thanks, Armin," he murmured. "You look...amazing." He caught my eye, and he looked soft, so soft.

"Do you want to come in?" I asked too loudly, wanting to run away at full speed in the hopes that my face would cool.

Eren stepped inside. I took a shaky breath in. "Can we take your car?" he quizzed, holding my gaze. "Mikasa wouldn't let me borrow hers. Ours." He rolled his eyes. "I'll direct you, if that's okay."

I nodded rapidly. "Oh yeah. Oh yeah, that's totally fine. Are you ready to go? Let me just tell my grandfather we're leaving."

I ran into the living room, where my grandfather was seated in the reclining chair, watching TV. He grinned widely at the sight of me, gray eyes twinkling.

"I bet Eren was so impressed, he didn't know what to do with himself," was the first thing he said, followed by laughter when I clapped my hands over my face.

"Why do you always embarrass me?" I groaned.

"It's my job. Would've been your parents' job, but it got passed on to me," my grandfather chuckled. "Anyway, have fun and be safe. What time will you be back?"

"Um...after midnight...I promise I won't be out too late. Do I...have a curfew, or something? Is that a real thing?"

My grandfather laughed again. "Yes, it's a real thing that you've never adhered to because you never go out enough to need a curfew." His eyes sparkled mischievously. "Alright, I don't mind how late as long as it's before two in the morning. I'll be asleep, so don't be too loud coming in."

"Thank you!" I replied with the biggest smile, and he sat up better so I could give him a hug. "I love you."

"I love you too. Promise me you'll be safe."

"Yes, I promise," I answered, and let him out of the hug. "Good night, see you in the morning!"

Eren and I walked side-by-side to my car. He was complaining about his sister, and how she never let him use the car enough. "I love to drive," he grumbled, yanking on the passenger's side handle. "I get that she needs it for work, but why can't she let me get that stress relief?"

"Do you want to drive?" I inquired, leaning against the driver's side door. "To the party?"

"Your car?" Eren's eyes widened. "I couldn't do that..."

"I trust you." I shrugged, letting myself smile.

I loved to watch Eren drive. He looked so composed, with one hand on the steering wheel, one hand resting in his lap. I thought about holding his hand—it was right there, resting in between us, but I shook my head furiously and stared out the window. I wasn't bold enough.