Epilogue

Summer is the only season many are not a great fan of. Winter and monsoon are romantic while autumn has a certain crispness in the air; spring, however, is the queen of all seasons but summer is a rebellious misfit that has a mind of its own. The scorching heat, sweaty faces, heavy electricity bills and water scarcity is no joke—especially if you're living in a tropical country—but it has its perks if we look on the bright side.

No matter how hotter the sun is, the nights are always colder and the occasional afternoon breeze is pure bliss like a soothing balm to the intense sun. Even power cuts are more in this season but the way families bond with one another leaving their TV screens behind can't be bought with money. And however old a person is, any vacation is useless without spending time with cousins at grandparents' house—it's an unofficial summer destination to most Indian children—and no exotic getaway can beat it. These are just a few but there are more if we have the eye to notice how beautiful summer is.

I use to love summer as a child—it's the only season with mangoes and more holidays—now I love it for other reasons.

The garden Annie grew bore ripe tomatoes and several beautiful summer flowers. The bird population that stops by our balcony increased and if we don't hear their chirping early in the morning, it doesn't feel like a morning at all.

We sit in the tiny garden to drink our morning coffee or whenever we want an escape, it's like a little capsule in our little place called home.

Annie, on the other hand, is getting better with time as she started attending sessions. I invite my friends home more often as it'll be a change for her but she grabbed them away from me. They wouldn't say but I know they like her more than me as they nod to whatever she says, or why else will they agree to play like kids?

'If we are careful, we can score two more goals.' Gowtham said but I lost my hope.

'Are you high? Did you look at how Ajay is stopping all the goals?' I pointed to Ajay who is happy in his own world by leaning back on the wall and tapping his fingers on his arm while our goalie looked like he's going to war. If anyone sees Ajay, they won't believe that he stopped all our failed attempts of goals—even we didn't and that's why we're loosing

'Dude, don't give up on me now. Our winning stakes are on you.'

'That first time is a chance of luck, it won't repeat.'

He kicked our concrete ground, 'I wish Jay was here, at least he'd play well.'

'Go bring him from Paris for this gully match.'

'I would if I can but I can't. That's why I'm begging you.'

Guna came right then, looking moody in every way possible. This is his first time bonding with us and I could tell he'll choose to opt-out if Priya wishes to hang out with us.

'What happened to you?'

He snatched the sipper in my hand.

'Your friend's dope, Peter.' He took a sip from the bottle, 'He doesn't play well and is telling that we'll lose because of me.'

I and Gotham shared a look. 'I told you he doesn't play well.'

'What do I know? He kept bragging that no one can beat him and I thought he does play better than us.' Gowtham replied.

'We're seeing him since childhood. He's all show and no game but still, you trusted him like this time will be any different.'

'He was like this since your childhood?' Guna interrupted.

'Yeah, he's like this child we secretly adopted.' Gowtham answered.

'Whatever, if he's still like this, I won't come. Either of you tell him.'