Chapter fourteen

'No, I went there as well.' I slammed the door and locked the car.

'Are you sure you looked carefully?' Abhi asked from the other side of the line.

'If I didn't, I wouldn't call you.'

'Why are you snapping at me? Go upstairs and check, if there's still a problem, call.' He cut the call. He doesn't care and never will. I want to break something or yell at someone but I have no energy left to do either. This is not what I expect to come home from a long day at work.

The effect of the day is finally rubbing on me. It's midnight and I'm roaming on the road instead of snoring under the bedsheet like everyone else in the apartment. But sleep is far away at this moment like one of those times I'm called to attend an emergency case. If curiosity kept me awake then, dread is keeping every muscle awake despite their silent cries to rest. The dark apartment basement must frighten me but something else is.

Light coming from the lift illuminated my pathway; it stood there waiting for me like how I left an hour ago. Life could learn a lesson or two from it, at least then it'll remain the way we want instead of twisting around and having a plan of its own. Surprises are great when the receiver is anxious in receiving the blows, not when he's habituated to them.

I slid the greasy metallic door, slammed it harder than intended after getting in and pressed the button to my floor. The stupid lift music started playing to rile me, this music was never frustrating but now, I want to crawl up to the top and snap the wires that cause it. Music in lifts is useless, and when someone goes up or down a floor past midnight, it's a nuisance.

Dark hallways welcomed me as the lift passed through floors. If anyone is awake, they'll know that it's me. I am accustomed to coming home late, and so are everyone in the apartment. The watchman opens the gate with sleepy eyes as soon as he hears my car horn, and doesn't complain or show anger for coming home at such odd hours, but today I woke him a second time—would have yelled on him if it's not for making calls.

The lift stopped with a hump and a click echoed in the quietness, illuminating the dark floor by the light above the door to my house. My shoulder slumped and my hands worked faster to slide the metallic doors.

'Hey.' She smiled, fiddling with the keyring in her hand.

'Where have you been?' I slammed the lift door behind me and walked to where she stood in front of the door.

'Somewhere.' Her eyes are on the keyhole where she put the spare key I gave her.

'What do you mean by somewhere? It's one' o'clock!'

'Don't yell! We can talk inside.' She turned the key and pushed the door wide open. The lights are turned on as I left after noticing she isn't home.

Annie threw the paper bags on the sofa where my bag is and walked to the kitchen. I closed the main door and followed her but she didn't acknowledge me like I'm not there with her.

'Annie, I asked you something.'

She took a bottle from the fridge and took a sip from it. 'Want some?'

I shook my head.

'You look like you need it.'

I snatched the bottle from her, put it back in the fridge and slammed the door to the fridge in a way that it moved in its place.

'You come home late, didn't tell me where you went and now you're offering water?!'

Annie flinched but didn't let it show, she's a master in appearing invincible. 'I'm an adult who need not tell someone where I go, and you're not my mom to complain about the time I come back.' I need to appreciate her guts. She does something wrong and pretends that it's not a big deal. I don't know why I have to be stuck with her.