Chapter seventeen

Annie swatted my hand as I was about to swipe the keycard that unlocks our hotel room door. It'll take ages to get in if she keeps up with this.

'You know the earth is flat?' She asked for the millionth time.

I sighed and tightened my hold around her waist.

'I don't know and I don't care.' I put the card in its holder and right when I'm about to unlock the door, she swatted my hand again.

'Tommy, do you know the earth is flat?'

'No, tell me about it.'

A toothy grin made its way on her face. 'It's called the flat earth conspiracy theory and many people around the globe believe it.'

'Cool.' This time I swiped the keycard and lowered the handle without any interruption.

'But you don't know about it as you hate science.'

My head snapped to her. 'I'm a doctor.'

'So, that doesn't make you love scienceeeee.' She dipped dangerously low from my arm and I held the door handle to hold my balance. 'Stupid people think the earth is flat when right now it's spinning round, round and round.'

I tried to lift her to stand erect but she looked up at the ceiling, not helping me.

'You spin my head right round, right round. When you go down, when you go down, down! You spin my head right round, right round. When you go down, down....'

Great! Now she'll sing and wake up everyone.

'Okay, now let's go.'

She jutted her lips in a pout. 'But I want to play!'

Damn! If my hands are not busy holding her, I would have shot a video of her. The horror on her face after watching her drunken antics will be priceless.

I lifted her to stand with all the energy I could muster and swept her off her feet into my arms. She didn't complain, just snuggled closer like my agony doesn't matter.

How much does she weigh again?

'I like it here.' Of course, she would if it's torture to me.

'Good, now sleep.'

'Do you know the earth is flat?'

Oh god, not again!

'No, I don't know.' I slammed the door shut.

'Wait! Why did you close the door?! I didn't say goodnight to Mr Shiny.' She slurred.

'Mr Who?'

'Silly boy!' She smacked the back of my head and giggled. 'He lives on the door and likes you, but you don't remember him?'

Oh, the doorknob.

'Now, let's say goodnight to him and be nice.' Annie flicked my nose and giggled. Well, that's a first.

'He didn't tell you he's on a rush as he has a date with Mrs Shiny?'

'No, let me ask him.' She tried to reach for the door but I acted quick and dropped her on the bed. Another episode of the word being flat or everything spinning around me are the last things I want to hear.

I cranked my back and took in the bliss of not having her in my arms. How do Heros carry women in those romantic movies and not feel a thing? Right now, it's like I carried a sack of potatoes when I thought lifting her will be like holding a twig. She looks thin but damn, she's heavy to lift off the ground.