Chapter ten

'Nice innings, right?' George patted my back.

'Yup, if we play like this, no one can beat us. Thanks to that new guy.' Kethan answered for me as we walked to where we left our bags.

'No, no, all of us were good.' George just can't accept someone's talent, especially a fresher's.

'Peter, I didn't know its bring your girlfriend to college day?' I turned back to the bleachers where Kethan pointed. Annie is shoving a book in her bag as her wild mop flew in the direction of the wind.

'Nothing like that, she wants to go to a movie but I told her about our practice match. So, she came to watch me.'

'Lucky bugger, if having a girlfriend itself is difficult, he has an understanding one. Is it serious?'

'What?'

'How can it not be serious, Kethan? He's not stupid to miss it.' George turned to me. 'If it's not serious, let us know. We'll try our luck.'

'Yeah, in your dreams.'

They laughed as I took my batting gloves off.

I turned back to where she stood with a huge smile on her face. We haven't really spoken if what we have is serious but it feels serious. We still fight a lot and try to put each other in our limits but I wouldn't trade her for anything in this world, and that should be a sign.

I threw my bat and gloves and walked to where she stood, not averting my gaze even once.

'I thought you are bragging but you're actually good.'

Nope. Definitely not letting anyone take her.

'I love you.' I pulled her into my arms and she froze. She didn't see it coming and if I can see her, I'm sure her eyes will pop out of her sockets, not for what I said but did.

'You idiot! Everyone is watching, leave!'

I tightened my hold around her. 'No.'

'Tommy, I'm serious!'

'I won't, what will you do?'

'Okay, you asked for it.'

I jumped away from her at the sudden prick on my side. 'Ouch! Woman, that hurt!'

Annie just glared and walked away from me. So much for professing my love to her.

*

Picnic essentials when I was little comprised of carrying my cricket kit, stuff two large-sized Lays packets with a half litre Thums Up pep bottle in my bag. My mom cooked maggie that turned soggy by the time its lunch and all we did the entire day is play cricket, or experiment by mixing different flavours of chips and soft drinks, and spend all our pocket money on buying even more chips and soft drinks once we're done with the ones we bought from home.

It was that one day we got to show off toys our parents or NRI relatives bought to friends and enemies alike. We'd wait for the day our school announces a picnic and plan for weeks before the announcement, but now it's boring.

Its windy and Kids took advantage by running around as their shrieks of laughter echoed in the air like my school picnics, yet it's not the same.

Like a retreat from our mundane life: there are teenagers playing cricket or flying kites, families sharing a laugh while munching on home-cooked parathas, tourists posing for photographs and a few vendors yelling loudly while rolling their carts to attract customers. The India Gate lawn is a far cry from the hustle-bustle of the capital city and despite all that, Annie read the book in her hands like she's preparing for a test.