Chapter eighteen

The water from the faucet is warm on my hands in contrast to the cold outside. These four walls are calmer and more private than the outside world.

I splashed water onto my face and the first thing I see is my reflection on the mirror which might be bored to see me every once in an hour. There are no traces of tears on my face but my eyes are still red. Water dissolves anything, especially tears.

Everything went in a blur from the moment I sat outside her room. I can't remember when I found her or how we bought her to the hospital but somehow we did. I know it'll take time for her to be stable but my restlessness grew by every passing second like a ticking bomb.

The door pushed open and Abhi's face popped into the creek of the door.

'Hey, all okay?' He asked, coming in and I nodded.

A rainbow in this storm is Abhi's presence. Maggie stopped crying and Ajay didn't ask stupid questions after he came. I want to be alone and he understood that by giving me space. Abhi can be a huge pain in the ass if he's not sensible, but at times like this, his company is bliss.

'Savi just came to check on Annie, thought you have to know.' This is the second time Savi came to check on her, at least now I want to hear something positive.

'Just give me five.'

'I'll be out.' He left, closing the door to the restroom on his way.

I pulled a tissue from the tissue dispenser and closed the faucet. If Annie is alright, she'll start with how much water I'm wasting.

I didn't know the value of her words before. I always wished for her to shut up, and now she did shut her mouth.

I swallowed the sob that dared to escape me. Crying is easy, not stopping tears or sadness.

Breathing out air, I wiped my face with the tissue. This is not a time to cry. Savi is checking on her and she might be stable for all I know.

Abhi stood by the restroom as soon as I opened the door. 'Shall we?'

'Yeah.'

We walked in silence, taking our time. He might have understood that I don't want to be disappointed when Savi tells me of Annie's condition to walk slowly.

'Hey, Priya called again.'

Like I'm not having enough on my plate.

'Why did that idiot tell her as if some epidemic broke? Matters like this can't be discussed with everyone.'

Abhi nodded. 'Yeah, when he's nervous his brain leaves his body and goes for a vacation.'

'It's been hours since she's inside the ER but her condition is not stable. Yet, he can't be considerate.'

He wrapped his hand around my shoulder and patted it. 'Annie will be fine. Don't freak out, okay?'

I nodded but only I know the struggle as I'm the one directly affected, not them.

Everyone assured that chances of her survival are more but I'm dwelling on the fact that she tried to take her life herself.

If I knew she'll hurt herself, I would have been more careful. To top it all, she didn't show any suicidal signs to alert me. Annie was moody, sure, but not depressed and I don't remember telling anything to hurt her.

Savitha appeared in my sight right then with a smile on her face. I walked towards her, leaving Abhi behind, half relieved that she didn't look like she's about to deliver a life-altering news.

'She's alright?' I asked.

'Yeah, I didn't want to be sure until she responds.'

'So?'