6.

'Mom, what happened?' Her face didn't react so I think she knew this question was coming.

'There's a lot that can be said Jason, where do you want me to start?'

'Do you remember me hitting my head before, about 5 years ago?' Right at the beginning.

'Oh that, course I do. I wasn't happy finding out about it hours after it happened before I had to go to work though. Had to attempt to find out if you were just drunk or concussed as I was leaving the door. Poor Damian had been worried all night but apparently there was no convincing you to go home or visit the hospital.'

'That sounds very unlike me. Plus I am pretty sure I was about to go home when I hit my head.'

'Hmm. I thought it was strange too but you could have been confused after banging your head. You weren't concussed, thank God.'

'So what an earth did I do on that night?'

'I think that question is best for Damian. If you can't get a hold of him, ask me again, but I don't know how much use I'll be. He probably didn't tell me everything at the time, and it was so long ago I've forgot most of what he said over you shouting 'bro code, bro code'.' She couldn't help but give out a little giggle at this.

'Hmm.' I actually said bro code? Somehow I doubt even Damian could help me remember that night if I was so drunk I was spouting rubbish about a bro code.

'Hmm indeed.' My mom interrupts my thoughts. 'So what else can I help you with? I assumed that's not all you wanted to know, and I doubt you had a flashback just then like in the movies.'

'Was that when I started to change?'

'Not specifically after that night but it was around that time, yeh. I guess.'

'When did you first notice I was changing?'

'There wasn't a specific day. I sort of didn't notice till you were almost a new guy. It was a slow transition and it didn't seem weird that one day you suddenly increased your hours at work, then a few weeks later you got really stuck into job applications. You had been telling me for ages you wanted to get a proper job so it all made sense. I just assumed the change in appearance was to improve your chances of getting a job.'

'Oh so it was just a natural progression then?' I was confused. I was under the assumption I just magically changed one day after hitting my head maybe. If it was as gradual as she says, then that just meant it was my fault I was now a shell of my former self.

'Yes. And no. It wasn't until you turned round one day and told me you were off to London the next day that I really thought about it. My boy wouldn't have dropped a bomb on me like that. I do think something happened to you that made you want to make these changes, but maybe you made them too fast and lost sight of who you were.'

'I'm so sorry mom. My behaviour these past few years has been unacceptable and I want to make it right.'

'Honey, don't worry yourself about me. It was bound to happen at some point, all men need to grow up and separate themselves from their parents. You just needed to maybe call me once in a while.' she teased. 'And anyway, you have been.'

What?! 'What?!' I repeated my thoughts.

'I think you think of yourself worse than what you are, if that makes any sense. So yes, you just upped and left one day and didn't speak to me for a while. But this past year, something seems to have grounded you and you made sure you called me once a month.'

I was speechless. 'But Tiffany said we didn't really speak any more.'

'She sounds like a decent girl, maybe she didn't realise. She was never around when you were on the phone to me as far as I'm aware. Your boss was a few times, but not Tiffany.'

'Mr Ross?' Mr Ross heard me talking to my mom on the phone? It's official, I am insane. Firstly I discover I like to insult him and chat back to him, and secondly I discover I have once monthly mom catch-ups right in front of him. How has he not fired me?

'Well I call him Tim, but yes Mr Ross.'

'You mean you speak to him?!'

She looks at me like I'm an alien, but I think she remembers my predicament as she relaxes a little. 'Oh right, you wouldn't know. He is your... friend.'

Now it all makes sense. Friends back-chat each other all the time - that's why he doesn't fire me for doing so. No wonder he stiffened up as I told him I don't remember him. I'd be pissed as well if a friend told me they couldn't remember me. I think I need to speak to him again, there is clearly stuff he didn't tell me at our last meeting.

'I don't think there is much else I can tell you son. I don't know that much about your London life so your best sticking with Tiffany and Tim about that stuff. And I think I've covered everything here.'

'Thanks mom. I may not remember but it's certainly helped put some of the pieces together.' I give her a kiss and a big hug. 'Oh there is one more thing. Where did you put my clothes when you packed everything away?'

'Your clothes are in a box in my wardrobe honey, but you packed everything up, not me. Actually you wanted me to throw the clothes away but I didn't have the heart.'

'Oh right, when I moved out I suppose.'

'Actually no.' My face dropped. 'This was all months before you left. When you got serious about getting a proper job, you grew up a bit and decided this wasn't the life for you anymore. I suppose maybe this is one of those 'red flag' moments I should have told you about, but everything seemed so natural at the time.'

'Hmm. I best get some sleep. I can look at all that stuff tomorrow. Night mom'.

I certainly had a lot to think about.