18.

'So what is this place?' We were at the pub and Tim was looking around curious.

'This is a Wetherspoons. But in this case, a really old one. It is situated in a old and important building so they can't change too much of the decor.' Unlike most Wetherspoons, this looked like an old pub full of period features.

'Cool. You can get the first round this time considering I did it before.' He smiles at me so I know he is joking, and we make our way to the bar. 'I'll have a beer please' he tells the barman.

6 drinks in and the conversation is flowing. You wouldn't have been able to tell that we had fallen out with each other only hours before. I must say it was great having a best friend where you could just fall out with each other and know it isn't going to affect your relationship.

'If you're lucky, maybe later I can show you were I hit my head outside of this place.'

'You don't have to do that if you don't want. I know you've said before that it makes you sad to think about that night.' Hmm, that was news to me.

'Honestly, it's ok. Maybe before it did bother me, but currently I have no idea what happened after so I guess I have nothing to be too upset over. I am under the impression that I changed that night and perhaps the new me regretted how I acted after the night - I think that's why I may have been sad. But the new new me doesn't know how I felt after I changed so it's all good to talk about. I don't know if that made any sense because I am starting to feel the drink.'

Tim laughs at me. 'I understand. In that case, you can show me then.' He smiles as a few ladies pass us and giggle. I sigh. 'What was that sigh for?'

'Oh, the last time I was here, I had girls laugh at me for being ugly. I guess things haven't changed.'

'You are joking right? They weren't laughing at you, they were giggling so you would notice them. As in they were checking you out and wanted you to check them out.'

'Ooooh. I really am not used to this new look I have, and I have no memories of being flirted with so forgive me for being dense. But you are a good looking guy, they may have been doing it to you.'

'Well to be honest, I think it was to both of us as there were a few of them.'

'Then why don't you go over and get a number. Just because I can't doesn't mean you can't either.'

'No thanks.' Then it dawned on me - he likes Sandy.

I give him a knowing look. 'Oh, I get it. Sandy is the only one for you, or something like that?'

'No. It's because I'm gay Jason.' My jaw literally dropped at this piece of information. How had I not noticed this?

'Wh- So you- Er- Wow, that's totally cool with me.' I sounded pathetic. Clearly I was shocked.

'Don't worry, I'm not going to come on to you or anything. You had no problem before if that helps you get over it quicker.' He was so matter of fact that it put my mind to ease.

I really had no idea what my thoughts were on this. Tim was gay? I don't have a problem with homosexuals so why was I so focussed on Tim being one? Trying to sound cool about it, I spoke up. 'So no Sandy then? My bad.' I gave him a laugh and he humoured me by smiling back. God I'm lame. I had gone and made things all awkward now.

'Another pint?' Tim motioned to my glass like I had no idea what a pint was.

'Do you even need to ask?' He understood I meant yes and went to the bar. Whilst he was gone, I tried to process this new information. Tim was gay. How does one normally react when they are told their best friend is gay? I had no choice but to be ok with it, which I totally am by the way. I just didn't know how he expected me to be with him now. I didn't want him thinking I was flirting or coming on to him whenever I smiled or made a joke.