2. Return Home

Sasuke knew exactly where the village was. He took his time traveling not wanting to overexert himself. A few days and he would be there anyway. He noticed Naruto stayed in his office most of the day. Sasuke, who is considered the Shadow Hokage, was glad he didn't actually become the real Hokage and be bound to an office for so long.

When he finally arrived in the village he got glances of recognition and some villagers still looked at him with fear. You can't get rid of an impact like what Sasuke had overnight. (Even if it wasn't overnight, in fact it was many years.) Once people developed a prejudice toward someone, it was hard to change their perspective. Even if Sasuke was not known the legendary ninja he was, his power only second in the world to the Hokage himself. Sasuke would still probably be seen as intimidating, his cold unwavering gaze did not glance at anything else but his target. The Hokage's office. He was going to see Naruto.

A few toddlers ran away when they noticed Sasuke without an arm. Of course Sasuke knew about Naruto's offer to get him an arm made of Hashirama's cells or something. Sasuke declined. It was his punishment for causing so much pain in Naruto's life while Naruto still chose to save him and come after him no matter what. It's one of the reasons Sasuke loved Naruto so much.

Sasuke finally arrived at Naruto's office. ANBU were positioned out front, despite their glares he was let in. They knew who he was and Naruto held Sasuke in high regard so they let him pass. Sasuke was an important ninja after all despite their biases.

A knock at the door, and Sasuke heard Naruto's voice.

"Come in."

Naruto was expecting someone else. Although he wasn't entirely shocked it was still surprising to see him. Sasuke looked the same as the day he left, but it seemed he hadn't been getting much sleep. He looked tired and half of his hair still covered his Rinnegan eye.

"Oh, hi." Naruto said rather unenthusiastically. He assumed Sasuke was here for a reason, he never came without one and it was probably something regarding the safety of the village or some other problem he had to deal with which was not what he needed.

"Hi?" Sasuke said although meant to be a statement it was phrased like a question. Sasuke was disappointed at Naruto's tone but tried not to show it. Just as he chose not to show anything else.

"What's wrong Sasuke?"

"What's wrong? Nothings wrong. Does something have to be wrong for me to show up?"

"I mean no--I just assumed. You've been gone for a few years and show up with no notice at all and come straight to my office."

"Well I just wanted to let you know I am coming back."

"You're coming back...?" Naruto repeated Sasuke's words to him as if he did not believe it or wanted Sasuke to clarify what he was saying.

"Uh yes. I have determined there's no threats to the village so therefore no reason to stay out. I feel like I've atoned somewhat--" Sasuke head nods to his left arm, which slightly changes Naruto's expression to one of regret. "I think it was time I came home..."

"That's great Sasuke!" Naruto smiled, and Sasuke's heart swooned. Naruto's smiles were always bright and endearing. "You know, tomorrow I should have you and Sakura come over for dinner."

Everything was going well until his wife was mentioned but Sasuke would still like the idea of having dinner with Naruto and he couldn't resist. Even if it wasn't just themselves and they were a group.

"I'll go. I will let Sakura know as well. I also have to tell her... that I've come home."

"She'll be very happy."

"Yeah..." Sasuke said under his breath. He didn't really care for her happiness on the matter. But she was still his wife and he would have to stay with her. It would be odd not to. He also wanted to see his daughter but he couldn't exactly take Sarada away from her mother, and even if he wanted to he couldn't because he was the definition of a deadbeat dad. He wouldn't be able to take care of her the way her mother would.

"I'll see you tomorrow then Sasuke." Naruto said, it was probably meant to be the end of the conversation but Sasuke stayed. "Unless...there's something you need?"

"If you have time...do you maybe want to head to Ichiraku's to catch up?" Sasuke asked hoping it did not sound like a date even if it was one in his head.

"Sure but not today. Maybe sometime this week. I'll ask Shikamaru to help with some paperwork since I worked way too much yesterday anyway. Just don't tell Hinata she will get upset that I am using my extra time on you and not her." Naruto laughed at that, but he knew Hinata would not get upset considering he hasn't seen Sasuke in years and she rarely got upset over anything.

"Naruto?" Before Sasuke left he wanted to do something just to see Naruto's reaction. Sasuke leaned in and his face was right next to Naruto's. Sasuke's mouth right by Naruto's ear as he whispered.

"I missed you."

With that, Sasuke got up and left leaving Naruto flustered. He was shocked by the action, and surprised at how fast it happened. It was only words but Naruto's attraction to Sasuke never faded.

"Why are you so obsessed with me?"

"Because you're my friend."

Friend. This constantly echoed in Naruto's head. There was always something more. Always unspoken words between them. Naruto would always chase after Sasuke no matter what. Sasuke would always tease Naruto but Sasuke always respected him. But he was married. So was Sasuke. They both had a child and it was never going to happen between them.

But why does the idea of it make them both so happy?

_______