Part the Fifth

I had become desperate and desperate I would act. The next day, I went on another walk, and luckily the weather was on my side. The sun danced on the grass and golden leaves of the trees. I had a basket in hand, my coat wrapped around me ever so tightly. Just because it was sunny didn't mean it was warm. It was autumn so I couldn't go traipsing out in just a dress. The wind was unbearably cold.

"You look cold, Magdelline," a voice said, making my jolt in my steps.

"Mr. Burns, you mustn't frighten me so!" I said, straightening my posture as I turned to him. He was leaning against the tree—the one I pushed him off of—arms crossed over his chest.

"You shouldn't scare as easily," was his retort. I rolled my eyes before chuckling.

"I'm on a walk and hear the voice of a man, surely you must understand why I would jump as such?"

"I guess I see some truth in your words," he said, shrugging with a smile.

"When have I ever been wrong, Mr. Burns?" I jested, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Never except when you call me 'Mr. Burns'," he said, standing up to walk nearer to me. "We are old friends, you know."

"No, you are the 'old friend'. You are seven years older."

"You make me laugh so hard," he said sarcastically. "But in all seriousness, please call me, Nicolas. I feel strange calling you Magdelline when you speak to me so formally."

"Maybe it is because you are strange, Mr. Burns."

"Miss Forsythe," he said, raising a brow at me as he chuckled.

"Fine," I sighed. "Nicolas."

"That is much better," he said. "Now we are both strange." He looked up at the tree seeming to think of it for a while.

"It has grown, hasn't it?" I asked, following his gaze up the tree. He turned to me before looking back to the branches above.

"Yes," he said slowly. "It seems that it was only yesterday that we were young and climbing this tree."

"It does seem to feel that way," I nodded in reply. "It very much seems like yesterday when I pushed you off."

Nicolas threw his head back with a guttural laugh before turning to me. He looked at me for a moment before shaking his head, a large smile on his face. "Shall you tease me of this for the rest of my days?"

"Indeed, I shall," I replied before turning to the tree again. It was very wide and the roots sprawled out from the ground like snakes weaving in and out of the ground. Vines grew up the tree, swirling around it. It was truly a magnificent tree. "It seems to have only grown more beautiful over the years."

"You also have that in common," Nicolas said after a moment of silence. My heart froze at the comment. After regaining my internal composure, I turned to face him with a tilted head and a smile. I also rose my brow for a more dramatic effect.

"Sir, I thank you for your compliment, but you must be exaggerating," I said, starting to walk and swinging my basket beside me. "I fear I am mostly the same since you have left. But you, Nicolas, have changed in four years. You now have sideburns. And that is a good thing. I thought you had lost hope of growing any facial hair by the age of three-and-twenty."

"That hit me straight in the heart—" he laughed giving a wince. "But I know your jab was only to change the subject from my complimenting of you. But just this once I shall let it slide."

"I must be getting back soon, Mr— Nicolas," I caught myself with a chuckle.

"You have a good day, Magdelline," he bowed, turning on his heel. I started to walk off before I heard him clear his throat. "Wait, have you received Audra's invitation to the dinner party yet?" I turned to face him, not hearing about the news yet.