Part the Thirty-Fifth

A month later... 

My nieces and nephews were long gone from our estate, which left a hollowness inside of me. Though I was elated due to my engagement to Nicolas, the hole which was left by the children was a completely different hole that even Mr. Burns couldn't fill. 

As I read some Locke inside my room, Claudia was airing the comforters of my bed. I closed the book causing her to jump.

"Sorry, Claudia," I said, setting the book on my desk. 

Claudia shook her head fervently, not looking me in the eye. "No need to apologize, miss."

"I scared you." I shook my head, standing up to take the comforter from her. "That requires an apology enough."

"Well, you're forgiven then," Claudia replied, trying to take back the comforter and I let her. "Are you excited about the upcoming nuptials?"

"Yes, indeed I am," I said with a broad smile emerging on my lips. My stomach flutters with butterflies at the thought of marrying Nicolas. "I'm ecstatic, in all honesty."

Claudia still would not look me in the eyes. "I'm glad to hear." 

"Are you alright, Claudia?" I approached her again and she just shook her head.

"I--I am fine, miss," she assured but didn't seem so confident.

I took her hands into my own, my eyes begging her to look at me. "I beg to differ, sweet girl. Whatever upsets you?"

"Whenever you marry, I will be without a job, I'm sure," she sniffed, taking a hand from mine to wipe her tears. "No use for a women's maid in a house ran by a widower."

"That does pose a problem for you, doesn't it," I whispered, letting go of her other hand to circle the room in thought. Images of her family needing money entered my mind. "I'm sure Nicolas would like for me to have a maid of my own. Or even I could talk with my sister and she might need someone to look after her children to teach them."

"I can't read, ma'am."

"That takes the latter out of the air," I muttered, waving my hand as if to wave away the option. "So, I must take you with me once I am wed. I've gotten so used to having you with me in these times. You've offered wise perspectives."

"Me, ma'am?" Claudia scoffs, pointing to herself with disbelief. "I'm no wise woman. Just a maid--not enough education to deem me wise."

"Wisdom is not acquired by reading or knowledge, Claudia." I smiled at the poor girl in front of me. "It is gained by simply seeing the truth in life as it is. And it's a gift you seem to bear. I will need a bit of wisdom now and again."

"Thank you, ma'am," Claudia said quietly before adding with excitement, "This has lifted my spirits, so!"

"I'm glad," I said, giving her a nod before sitting back down at my desk. "Now you can finish whatever you started doing. I'm afraid all I'm good at is distracting you from your work. My apologies."

"No need, ma'am." Claudia beamed at me and continued to work on the comforters. 

--

"You have a letter, dear Delly," Papa stated as he scooped potatoes into his mouth, glancing over the envelope. "From your very own Mr. Burns."

"How interesting," I laughed as Papa shoved the letter dish over to me from across the table. If he kept that up, the table would get scratched. "He is only a twenty-minute walk from our property. Why does he trouble himself with writing letters? Takes more time to write them, send them, and receive response."