Part the Sixteenth

The carriage screeched to a halt as we pulled in front of the London townhouse that belonged to the Irving's. The door opened to reveal a couple of footmen who were quick to help me out and unload the carriage of my baggage. I was led to the front door as snow fell from the heavens. I was glad of my pastel blue Spencer jacket or else I would have been freezing and unfashionable.

As I was led inside, the warmth of a home immediately surrounded me. I was glad to be inside as the wind howled beyond the walls of the townhouse. I couldn't stand the cold at all so I was glad to be away from the harsh weather conditions.

"Magdelline!" a familiar voice called out. "Is that you?"

I looked to where the voice was coming from and saw Marjorie, my dear sister, at the top of the steps. She was wrapped in many shawls and layers which made me chuckle. She was always rather cold like I was except ten-fold on her part. I met Marjorie at the bottom of the steps, enveloping her in a hug. It was nice to be near my sister after so long. It had to have been almost a year.

"How good it is to see you, Marjorie," I said, my voice muffled into her shoulder.

"It is a blessing to see you as well!" she whispered back as I heard a thundering noise from the steps. I looked up to see a stampede of children running down the steps to gaze at me.

"Hello, dears," I said, stepping away from Marjorie. "You've all grown so much!"I looked over my nieces and nephews in awe at how much they had changed. Little John was getting so tall and lean, his blond shoulder-length hair was a shaggy mess, though the top seemed brushed back to an extent. He looked like his father in coloring, features, and demeanor. Eight-year-old Anne, was as golden-haired as ever, her long hair curled down her back. Though she had Marjorie's features, her demeanor was also similar to her father's had he been a girl, accomplished and proper. Daniel, the only dark-haired child, had his head down, his blue-grey eyes peeking out above his thick head of curls. For a six-year-old, he was short and a bit chubby, but he was extremely adorable. Lastly, little Lucy Hannah rushed down the steps to engulf me in a hug, her blond curls bouncing about her face.

"Aunt Magden!" my four-year-old niece practically shouted as she gave me a squeeze.

"Magdelline," her mother corrected with a laugh. "And children, you know better than to run

down the stairs."

There were a few different variating apologies before Lucy Hannah took my hand to lead me to their toy room to give me a showcase of her favorite toys. The toy room was small with three large windows facing the streets of London, the toy chests leaned against the opposite wall. The room was a bit drafty and bare besides the assortment of the toys across the rug. It hit me then that my sister and her husband probably were not on the same terms of wealth as Papa. I knew that Marjorie married down a bit, though her husband had a good bloodline. Though John Irving came from a wealthy family, he was the third in line and ended up having to make his own way in the world, which he seemed to be doing rather well for a lawyer. It seemed that both his parents were striving to outlive their children so the inheritance that John was waiting for was yet to be given to him.

"That's very nice, Lucy," I smiled, examining the glowing cheeks of my young niece. She was a precious creature and seemed much brighter and livelier than I was at her age.

"I thought I told you to clean up before your aunt arrived—" Marjorie said, heaving a sigh. "You know Miss Kline is taking the next few days off."

"Sorry, Mama," Anne and Little John said before turning to pick up the room, Daniel silently following.

"You, too, Lucy," Anne said quietly in her sister's ear before the younger one pouted, turning on her heel dejectedly.