Part the Thirty-Third

"You little sneak," Audra exclaimed as her brother told her the news in the parlor of the estate. "By the way you've been acting, I thought you've been meaning to execute her--not marry her!"

"I know, and I apologized for such behavior," Nicolas remarked, blushing beneath the gaze of his sister. "I was not very gentlemanly."

"Neither was I lady-like, though," I said, placing a hand on the arm of Nicolas to assure him. "I treated you both harshly as well. I only cared for saving my own skin."

"Well, you have truly blossomed since, Delly." Audra shot me a quick smile before shooing us off. "Now, you should probably tell our parents."

"Tell us what?" Mr. Burns, the senior, asked as both he and his wife entered the room. Talk of perfect timing. 

"I have asked Magdelline to be my wife," Nicolas stated, taking my hand in his. "Her father is aware and accepts my offer. I wish for your blessing as well."

"I knew it," Mrs. Burns said smugly as she elbowed her husband. "Had I not told you of my suspicions a year ago?"

"A year ago?" Nicolas scoffed, looking at his parents as if they were insane. 

"Yes, my dear," Mr. Burns stated, ignoring his son's comment as he turned to his wife. "Seems a matron's instincts are always right."

"A year ago?" Nicolas repeated. "Why a year ago?"

"You always asked of her in your letters," his mother responded as if it made all the sense in the world. "I always wondered, why not write to her yourself? But, alas, I knew my son. Too shy for his own good."

"Mother..." Nicolas shook his head as he sighed and sat down. "Anyway, I'm sure that my fiance must want to head home, it is getting quite stormy."

"Can she stay, Mother?" Audra asked, "I think it'd be too dangerous for her to return-- look out the window." We all turned our gaze to the window to see the trees were almost leaning over in the weight of the wind.

"Papa might worry," I argued, standing up to go. I hadn't given him any warning except that I was to visit the Burns' to tell them of the news.

"All can be explained in the morning." Mrs. Burns stated decidedly, locking her arm in mine as she led me to a guest room. 

"I agree," Mr. Burns, the senior, said with a grunt. "I'd rather not face the wrath of both my son and your father if something ill had befallen you if you went in this treacherous weather."