Part the Twenty-Fourth

Apparently, Nicolas was going to be there. At least, not at the moment, but as soon as I stepped through the doors of Elmswood, Audra rushed to me with the so-called good news. Her brother had sent a letter a while ago, announcing the day of his return—which happened to be today to my misfortune. So, I knew I must be in-and-out before he should return. I couldn't bear to face him again with him in fear of another quarrel.

Audra brought me to the parlor where tea was already set up. Mrs. Burns was in there but quickly got up to leave us alone, though she was quite fond of children after they were introduced. Mrs. Burns even offered a special embroidery lesson for Anne which I found remarkably exciting. I knew Audra's mother was one to withhold such compliments to only such deserving, so I knew that Mrs. Burns held Anne with high regard already. She was the image of Marjorie except with different coloring, and I knew how much Marjorie meant to Mrs. Burns. There was a point when it was rumored that Mrs. Burns wanted her son to be wed to my dear Marjorie, but alas, John Irving came along and stole my sister's heart.

"How was London?" Audra asked, as one of her servants poured a tea for her.

"It was exciting," I said, thinking over all of the events of the trip. "It was a pleasant time, indeed."

"So, you got along with the children?" Audra asked, raising a brow teasingly. I chuckled before rolling my eyes. Ever since I had once said I didn't enjoy the company of children, both Audra and Nicolas would tease me about it. Yes, in the past I wasn't the best with children, but being in the company of my sister's children changed my mind completely. I couldn't imagine a life without them.

"Yes, I actually did," I said, pausing as I thought over the next words. "I chose to be a governess per my sister's request actually."

"You? A governess?" Audra said for a moment before smiling. "I never would have thought, but I am sure you did amazingly well."

"I feel in some ways I did, but I fear I spoiled them with my riches," I said.

"Not true," Anne whispered beside me which caused me to smile.

"And I feel that they taught me more than I could teach them," I said solemnly. "Some wise words of Anne made me seek the Lord for strength rather than to live in my own. Without Anne, I would have never sent you the letter, I fear. If not, it would've been delayed."

"Well, I'm glad for the wise words of Anne," Audra said, sipping her tea.

"As am I."

"As am I," Lucy Hannah repeated, trying to sip her tea while holding the cup correctly—but failing.

"Here, allow me," I said, as I corrected how she was holding the cup. "Better?"

"Much," said Lucy Hannah who's voice was muffled in the cup as she drank more. "Thank you."

"My pleasure, dear," I said, smiling at my niece.

"You will be a great mother one day," Audra stated. I looked up at her before seeing her gaze was on Lucy Hannah.

"I thank you," I said, before sipping my own tea. "You shall be a fine mother as well. Far more patient than I ever could be."

"I am just having a hard time finding anyone who I think would be a good father to my future children," Audra said quietly, taking a sip of tea.

"There is Mr. Brunswick," I said, looking at her slyly which caused her to spit out her tea in shock.

"Magdelline!" Audra said, wiping the tea off of her face with a handkerchief before beckoning the servant over. "Ambrose, could I have a new cup? Thank you."