chapter twenty ➝ "clean"

Chapter Nineteen: Clean by Taylor Swift.

_________________________

My horizontal became vertical and I was only aware of my own screaming. Branches slapped me in the face; limbs reached out and poked at my skin. My life flashed before my—

Splash!

My body crashes into the pool, and my skin spasms and stings at the frigid contact. I willed my wooden limbs to cooperate, and I slowly ascended through the water, paddling through the leaves and dead bugs.

I broke through the surface. Coughing and sputtering, I gasped for breath.

"What is going on?" The elderly lady called, the one who caused Murielle to go on this god-forsaken mission. "I'm calling the police!"

I weakly dog paddled to the side and grabbed onto the ledge. My throat and nose burned and – did someone say police?

"No police. S'me, Sam." I choked on the water. And a bug carcass. I glanced around for the man I associated with Murielle. "It's me— I-I-Indie."

Through blurred eyes, I saw Sam rushing toward me, and a teenage boy following close behind. Holding the door open was a grey-haired woman in a purple apron, whom I can only assume is Maxine Carter.

"Indie?" The boy spoke with confusion. I jerked my head up and inhaled sharply. Well fuck.

"Luke?" I groaned, letting my forehead hit the concrete edge. When my fingers were fully functioning again I vowed to kill Murielle.

"Um," he looked behind him before scratching his head, "what are you doing?"

"Well I'm currently getting frostbite." I couldn't help the sarcastic retort.

Sam quickly moved to the edge of the pool and offered me a hand. I accepted with thanks and allowed him to pull me out. If it had been the middle of winter I probably would've lost a leg but it was a warm spring day.

Before I could even think to explain myself the doorbell started ringing urgently. We all glanced towards the door and Maxine rolled her eyes before walking over and opening it.

"Murielle?" She asked in disbelief.

Murielle ignored the woman and looked over at me. Her eyes widened at my drowned state and I merely glared. "Well, there you are Indie. My goodness. One moment we're doing a little bird watching, and the next thing I know Indie's running off, yelling she's spotted an African Hairy Woodpecker – then poof she's gone."

My lips parted in surprise. I didn't know whether to be impressed or mad at her ability to lie this easily.

"We?" Luke frowned, his eyes darting over to me probably wondering how I knew this crazy lady. Oh shit, please don't say Au—