chapter twenty-eight ➝ "falling"

It had been two weeks of bouncing between Michael and Willow. Apparently neither of them wanted to be around each other, which made it hard to be a good friend to both of them.

Today Luke and I had split up on friendship duties. Luke was helping Willow rearrange her room, which I got stuck with taking Michael out to lunch. I pulled up into the local Diner, hoping Austin would be working.

Michael was in what I liked to call, a slump. He had completely shut everyone out. I had to drag him out of bed to get some food today. I think Luke had the easier task of moving a goddamn bed instead of a human.

"I know how this is a forbidden topic and everything..." I started to lead the conversation towards Willow as we sat down.

"I don't really feel like talking about your bitch of a mate." Michael said blankly and I just glared at him.

"You're the idiot who let her feel like she was helping you cheat on Lystander! Fucking hell. You know how easy everything would be if you just came out with the truth?" I muttered, leaning against the plush seat.

"I second that." Austin murmured, walking over with two menus. The white apron was tied tightly around his waist as he gave Michael a perplexed stare.

Luke and Austin had worked things out completely, which had surprised me considering they hadn't spoken for a year. It seemed to just be a boy thing to forget a grudge as quickly as they had.

"Says you." Michael laughed, giving Austin a pointed look. "You didn't tell Luke for a year."

"That was completely different. I was protecting Luke. You're just hurting Willow." Austin hummed, taking out his notepad.

"Maybe I want to hurt her." Michael muttered darkly. "I mean, she's fucking Ashton now so I doubt she's wound up about it."

"You're an idiot." Austin sighed, before cocking his eyebrow. "What do you want?"

Michael glanced down at the menu as mine remained untouched. "I'll just have the cheeseburger with a coke."

"Alright. The usual for you, Indie?" Austin asked me as he chewed on the top of his pen.

"Yeah." I shrugged absently, chuckling when Michael shot me a confused look — probably wondering why I had a 'usual'. "I used to come here a lot when Luke and I were fighting. I'd just order dinner and wait for Austin to finish his shift." I explained, looking around slowly.

"Must be nice to have a friend like him." Michael murmured quietly, sinking into his chair. I frowned a little.

"You have great friends too." I pointed out. "Luke and Calum are always there when you need it."

"And Ashton stole the girl I like." Michael added with an eye-roll.