Log Entry Part 9

I partially felt myself fall to the floor. A bright light engulfed the darkness and faded quickly. I heard muffled sounds of struggling and then I stopped hearing anything.

            I heard my pulse in my ears as it slowed.  I couldn’t panic about dying. It was just happening. I couldn’t stop it.

            I kept hoping that maybe I’d see her one last time. Maybe I had actually gotten to talk to her and it wouldn’t have been a dream she controlled.

            I tried to picture our last adventure. Flying through space, relaxing into her arms as her wings caught fire.

            She was right about all that… being relaxing… and being in space like that.

            I started to feel weightless. I felt like I didn’t need to breathe anymore. My back felt warm.

            In the dark abyss I found myself in, I turned to the heat and I saw a small light off in the distance and went over to it. When I walked, it was more like floating. It was easy to control and I actually moved pretty quickly.

            The light got brighter and I saw that it was a campfire. It had a log on the other side of the flames. Someone was sitting on it.

            This person stood up. As I got closer I realized it was my dad.

            “Hey, son. You’re early.” He spoke to me as I got closer. He held out his arm and I grabbed it. He pulled me into a tight hug and I hugged him back. He let go and held me out. He looked at me. “You’ve grown into such a wonderful young man,” he smiled. “And I couldn’t be prouder.”

            “So I am dead…” I started. He sat me down and sat next to me.

            “But you won’t be moving on,” he said quickly.

            “Why not?” I asked and turned to him.

            “Because Hawk showed up in time. If you’re here, she can bring you back.” My dad explained, “But if you go with me, there’s no returning to life.”

            I thought about it, “How do you know all this?”

            “They told me before I arrived here.” He answered and pointed behind him. “They didn’t tell me much but they wanted me to keep you here in limbo until she brings you back.”

            “I really am supposed to stay alive…” I said thoughtfully.

            “Yes,” my dad replied. “And you’re supposed to be in space, but they respect your decision and won’t force you into changing it.”

            “What do you mean?” I asked.

            “Where do you think Hawk is from?” He asked quietly. “I guess you don’t remember anything.”

            “No I don’t…” I answered, “She said she would unlock my memories but hasn’t yet.”

            “Oh… hmm,” He stopped, probably to rethink what he was going to say. “That choice that you made, when you first met Hawk, was the right choice.” He looked around the fire and smiled. He looked at me and looked like the proudest father in the universe. “She’s always going to be there for you, my son, keep her close.” He hugged me tightly again, “I’m so proud of you.” He looked at me again.

            My smile was starting to hurt my face. He wiped away tears I didn’t know were there.

            He looked behind me, “you are stronger than you realize and that strength is the key to your power. Never lose sight of what’s important. And…” the light he must have been watching started to engulf us. “…never give up, Mark.” He pulled his hands away from my face and scooted back on the log. The light covered us completely. “I love you...” his voice echoed as I was turned towards the source of the light.