Chapter Eleven

"I hope you had a fine time last night." Hermione walked by Binny's side on the way to the library.

Binny had just sheepishly exited the gate through which she'd entered the big woods. She shook the snow off her shoes only to find Hermione, Katniss, and Arya on their way to work just as she exited.

"Sorry about that," Binny mumbled. "I fell asleep." And then to try and make it up to Hermione and the others she added, "I was in the Little House in the Big Woods."

Katniss raised an eyebrow but said nothing.

Binny continued, "It was really cozy and warm. I fell asleep."

"It's okay." Hermione appeared ready to move on.

"I learned how to make a special request. That's how I got there," Binny proclaimed hoping to impress her friends.

"Someone's learning fast," Arya added with a wink.

"Oh, and Arya, I read your book yesterday," Binny added excitedly.

"My book?" Arya looked surprised. "Just one?"

"I know. There are so many. I made it through one before I needed a break. Not that it wasn't great." Binny tried to backtrack a little hoping not to offend Arya. "I just needed a little break after all that..."

"Gratuitous violence and death?" Arya chuckled. "It's okay. Even I need a break from it periodically. It all does get to be a bit much."

Binny sidled up to Arya as they walked. "Maybe next time you could come with me. It was really a nice place to hide out for a bit."

"That might be nice." Arya smiled back.

¤

The foursome shuffled toward yet another brand new spot in the Library.

"It's nice to see you thinking for yourself." Katniss said in a low voice, making sure Hermione and Arya were out of earshot.

Binny turned around, not entirely sure who was speaking at first. Katniss so rarely said nice things, Binny wondered at first if Katniss was being sarcastic. But after a moment, Katniss' eyes stayed true, and her mouth showed no signs of laughter.

"Thanks. But I'm not sure what you mean." Binny tried to sound appreciative.

"Reading Arya's book. Going off on your own. Making your first special request. It's nice to see you follow your heart," Katniss said.

Binny smiled and murmured "Thank you." And then after a moment she couldn't resist adding, "So you don't think I'm a quitter anymore?"

In a split-second Katniss' usual smirking expression returned leaving no trace of her compassionate smile. "That remains to be seen. But you never know. It doesn't happen often, but once-in-awhile someone surprises me."

Katniss sounded like her usual sarcastic self but Binny thought she could detect a trace of sweetness in the challenge. Binny said, "Maybe I'll even surprise myself."

Binny's mind wandered to the original issue over which she and Katniss had argued – Binny's desire to do something nice for Michel – write him a poem, or maybe draw something for him. "I'm gonna do it you know."

"Do what?" Katniss said.

"Create something for him. For Michel. I was thinking a poem, but now I'm wondering if I should draw something. Something from Paris."

"Uh huh." Katniss responded absent-mindedly.

"No, I'm serious. I just have to find some pen and paper. It's shocking I can never find any of that. You'd think a library would have plenty."