Chapter Thirty-Four

“You’re going to do what?”

Katniss and Binny were walking to the library early. Arya walked ahead, scouting for any sight of Hermione. There was none.

“I’m gonna tell everyone in the Stacks the truth.” Binny answered.

“And how are you going to do that exactly? You know nobody is going to believe you.”

“I know. That’s why I’m going to write it down. I’m going to write a book. It’s the one thing everyone here respects. Even the Keepers.”

“Oh, no big deal. Even if you could do it without getting caught, do you know what a huge undertaking that is?” Katniss wasn’t convinced.

“I got some professional coaching last night.” Binny winked.

Katniss was puzzled for a moment and then realized what Binny meant. “Even with advice from a real one, you’re not an author.” Katniss tried to make her tone less jokey when she saw how serious Binny was.

“We’re surrounded by the products of millions and millions of books – not to mention the books themselves. Are you telling me that not even one character in the Stacks is capable of writing a book? Not even one? And if there’s at least one, then why shouldn’t it be me?”

Katniss lowered her voice. “I admire your ambition. Really I do. But do you remember what happened when you wrote that poem? Do you think hiding the creation of an entire book from them will be less hard than that was?”

“No. I think it will be harder.”

“Then…” Katniss let her voice trail off indicating the question she was asking.

“I have a plan.”

They had run out of time for conversation as they’d already walked under the arched doorway into the library and were rapidly approaching a shelf where their books were sure to be waiting for them. Arya was already pulling a thick volume off the shelf to pop into.

“Will you promise me one thing?” Katniss asked.

“Sure.”

“Can we lay low and not draw any attention to ourselves until we discuss the plan? I’m figuring we’ve gotten into enough trouble in the last 24 hours, and more scrutiny from the Keepers,” Katniss’ eyes darted back and forth looking for them “is the last thing we need right now.”

Binny said, “Agreed. Best behavior,” Binny smiled mischievously and added “for now.”

¤

Binny’s day in her Madrona Heroes book passed as it always did, according to script. And true to her promise, she went to dinner with Katniss and Arya and behaved like a model citizen of the Stacks. No fiery speeches. No throwing dessert.

Binny saw One and Two at various points. They never looked directly at her, but Binny felt their eyes on her back as she passed them. Katniss was right, they were keeping a close watch.

Back at Misselthwaite Manor, Arya had gone to bed, and it was just Binny and Katniss sitting by the fire.

“OK. Can you tell me now?” Katniss asked. “What’s your big plan?”

Binny took a deep breath and walked Katniss through her thinking.

“That’s a lot of wishful thinking.”

“Well, I guess it’s not so much a plan as it is optimistic speculation, but at least it’s a start.” Binny said.

Katniss saw Binny’s face fall a little bit. “I didn’t say I wasn’t in. Just pointing out that there are a lot of potential risks.”