Chapter Thirty-One

The cave did continue beyond what they had seen. For quite a ways in fact. Eventually even Merlin’s book collection ended and the cave started snaking up through the rock. Steps carved into the floor carried them up to the surface. Arya could barely walk. Michel and Katniss were mostly carrying her with her arms draped across their shoulders.

“He said it wasn’t far.” Binny led the group, slower than she would have liked, but they made progress. 

Gradually the rocky terrain gave way to a more Mediterranean landscape. Off-white and orangey rocks were more prevalent. Fading greens of plants that looked like they were losing their color in the sun. And then a structure loomed on the horizon.

It looked like a layer cake, or maybe like an Aztec temple. Maybe they were in South America, or rather some book’s version of South America. Binny didn’t know. It didn’t matter. Binny’s mission became increasingly clear.

Merlin had said there was a place in the Stacks where magic would work. In Binny’s mind, this meant that there was a place where anything was possible – a place where creativity was possible. Binny had already decided, it was a place where she could feel alive.

It hadn’t escaped Binny’s mind, that if they found the place magic worked, that Hermione could heal Arya. Binny knew that ultimately Arya would be fine, but watching the color slowly drain from her friend’s face was something she’d like to stop as soon as possible. Arya was putting on a brave face, but it was clearly an enormous effort.

The stone steps that led to the top of the structure numbered in the hundreds. Arya said she could do it, but nobody believed her.

“I’ll go.” Binny said. “I’ll go find out where to go, and we can go from there.”

“I’ll go with you.” Michel volunteered.

“It’s okay. I dragged everyone here, I’ll do it myself. You stay and help Katniss and Hermione take care of Arya. I’ll be back as soon as possible. I promise.”

Katniss caught Binny’s eye but said nothing. Binny sensed that Katniss was proud of her. It made Binny feel good, and it gave her some energy, which was a good thing as the steps were numerous, steep, and brutal. By the time Binny made it to the top, she was sweating profusely.

Binny walked under the arched doorway at the top. Binny thought that a giraffe would be able to walk through the doorway without having to stoop. Once inside the temperature changed and the air felt cool on her skin. The room was large. Sculpted reliefs, mainly of lions, lined the walls. They looked almost Egyptian but not quite.

“Maybe this isn’t South America.” Binny said to herself, aware of how her voice bounced off the ceiling of the large hall. When Binny looked up at the ceiling she saw an enormous eight-pointed star made out of inlaid stone.

“It’s not.” A woman said from across the room.

Binny was momentarily startled, but quickly regained her composure. She’d come here to meet someone after all. “Oh, hello.”

“Hello Binny.” The woman said.

Binny could now see her. She was tall, impossibly so. She had eagle’s talons instead of feet, and eagle’s wings sprouting from her back. She was wearing next to nothing and she was beautiful. Binny was mesmerized.

“You are in Ur, Binny. Not South America.”

“Thank you. Sorry. I didn’t know.” Binny fumbled with her words, not quite sure whether to look away or not. “How do you know my name?”

“I know everyone’s name. I read every book.” The winged woman said.

“I wish I could say the same. I’m sorry, but I don’t know yours.” Binny said, hoping she was being respectful. She had no idea who this woman was, but it was clear she was used to having great power.