Chapter 37

Bilbo flew out his front door, not bothering even to lock it. He had his pack and his red coat, his supplies, and most importantly himself. He took off down a path, nearly toppling over a neighbor. The Hobbit came to a fence and was forced to jump it. The excitement bubbling inside him gave him the little push he needed to catch up.

“Hey! Mr. Bilbo! Where are you off to?!” A neighbor called upon seeing one of the most respectable Hobbits in the Shire running as if he was a kid.

“Can’t stop, I’m already late!” Bilbo hollered back over his shoulder.

“Late for what?”

“I’m going on an adventure!” Bilbo grinned at his words, racing after the company of Thorin Oakenshield.

Thorin was certain that the Hobbit was not going to show. But he dared not wager on it, if Gandalf was sure he would come, then he most likely would. There were other things sitting heavily on his mind at the moment to be distracted by the Hobbit, however. Beuren hadn’t spoken to him since this morning. She hadn’t spoken to anyone really. She rode behind Kili, listening to him and his brother’s conversations but never speaking. At one time, she rested her head on her nephew’s shoulder and took a quick nap.

He had seen her angry, but never this angry. Thorin desperately wanted her to come back, be her normal self again. But, he knew that there was nothing he could do, it was his fault, she was exiled because of him, so truly she had every right to be upset with him. He turned forward and gave a sigh, nudging his pony a bit faster.

“Wait! Wait!” the company pulled their ponies to a hault, turning and looking behind them. Bilbo was dashing towards them, puffing for breath, in his hand he held the contract. “I signed it.” He said, taking  a deep breath and handing it up to Balin. The eldest dwarf took the parchment, smiling broadly, he checked the signature at the bottom then folded it neatly.

“Everything appears to be in order. Welcome, Master Baggins, to the company of Thorin Oakenshield.” Balin said, giving Bilbo a wink. Bilbo smiled and nodded, there were several cheers from the company. Thorin sighed and turned forward.

“Give him a pony.” That sure got the Hobbits attention.

“No, no, no, no, that, that won’t be necessary, thank you, but I-I’m sure I can keep up on foot. I-I-I’ve done my fair share of walking holidays, you know. I even got as far as Frogmorton once…” His speech was cut short when Fili and Kili grabbed the back of his jacket, lifting him up and onto a pony. He sat stiffly, arms raised too high, reins pulled too tight, and he looked all together uncomfortable.

“C’mon Nori, pay up!” Oin said. Nori tossed a sack of coins back at Oin angrily. “Hey, hey, hey!” Beuren sat behind Kili trying to catch the sacks before he did, keeping the pair of them entertained. Beuren glanced back at the Hobbit, then up at Thorin, just in time to see him shaking his head and Dwalin pulling his pony back in line. Beuren slid off of Kili’s pony and jogged up to Dwalin, who was several horses away from Thorin now.

“What is it bâhûn?” She asked, keeping pace with his horse.

“He’s just being…” Dwalin paused, frustrated. “Thorin, he’s just being Thorin. You know how he is.”

“All too well.” She agreed. “What did he say?”

“Not to be rude, lass, but perhaps you should stay out of it, there is enough tension between you, let us not add more.” She nodded understandingly.

“Wait, wait, stop!” Bilbo ordered. “We have to turn around!” Thorin gave a sigh, turning in his saddle to see what was wrong. “I’ve forgotten my handkerchief!” Beuren smirked, kicking the dirt at her feet.