Chapter 71

The snow was sticking to Beuren's hair and lashes. Frerin's coat served her well, her right arm was quite warm, she'd left her left arm out, allowing the cold to temporarily stay the burning sensation. As she watched the stars above, the soft patter or bare feet sounded rather loudly in the echoing mountain. Bilbo took a seat on a stone beside her, also turning his eyes up to the sky. 

"Beautiful, aren't they?" She looked down at him. "I always liked stargazing at Bag End, especially during the summer months when it's warm..." He shivered as if on que. Beuren scooted closer, wrapping the Hobbit under her arm and coat. 

"Quite beautiful." Beuren agreed. "I often found myself gazing out my window when I was young. I lived just at the edge of Dale, you see, where the torch light never reached." She smiled down at Bilbo who had absentmindedly curled closer to her, seeking warmth. "In the summer, my mother used to wake me just before the sun rose. She'd take me up to the overlook, only a short couple mile ride on horse from our cottage, and we'd watch the sun rise before she went to work. I've seen some beautiful sunrises in my life time on that overlook, but none as beautiful as the one I witnessed in Rivendell." 

"When we were there?"

"No, it was a few years back now." She grinned. "I had agreed to watch Aragorn for a few days while his mother mourned. I took him with me one morning into the woods. The sun hadn't risen yet, and I led him through the trees to the edge of the forest." Beuren shifted a little in her seat. "I put him-he was only three or so by now-on my lap and we watched the sun start to break the horizon. The sky turned the most magnificent shade of pink I have ever seen. The clouds looked black and blue against it. The sun was red, flaming as though it were a torch. Through all that color and glory, you could still see the brightest stars shining proudly over the trees. Aragorn was so amazed by the show that he decided he wanted to come out the next day. For a year straight, I took him to see the sunrise, every morning without fail. Once I healed up and was able to return back to the wilds, I did. It crushed him, though he wouldn't admit it. Elrond had been the one to tell me. So, every time I returned, I'd wake him up and take him to the edge of the forest and we'd watch the sun rise. We did this until he began to go out on his own, following Elrond's boys into the wild." Her smile faltered. "I wish I could have kept him small forever. He didn't want to grow up and be like us. In fact, I remember him wanting to work in the stables of Rivendell. He's always been so good with horses. He wanted to be a farrier, if I remember correctly." Bilbo sat quietly for some time before he cleared his throat remembering why he was sent here. 

"Um, Oin wanted me to fetch you, he said he wanted to check up on your burns." She nodded, slowly getting to her feet. 

Several hours before the rising of the sun, Thorin stormed into the hall and demanded everyone awake. Obediently, they all followed him down the stairs and to the treasure hoard to begin their work once more. Balin and Dwalin shared a look, both knowing that the Arkenstone would not be found. 

Beuren was quiet as she snuck down the stairs, careful not to be seen. She'd missed breakfast and was starving, if she could get her hands on a little bit of cured meat she would return to her room, still hiding from Thorin. As she treaded down the hall, she saw Bilbo sitting quietly by himself. Smiling, she made for him but was forced to seek cover when Thorin stormed into the hallway. 

"What is that?!" Bilbo leapt up, startled by Thorin's sudden appearance. "In your hand!" 

"I-It's nothing." Bilbo shrugged. 

"Show me!" 

"It..." With a sigh and a shake of his head, Bilbo opened his palm, revealing a small acorn. "I picked it up in Beorn's garden." Bilbo admitted. 

"You've carried it all this way?"

"I'm gonna plant it in my garden, in Bag End." Bilbo said quietly, looking back up at Thorin. All anger faded from Thorin's eyes as he smiled down at the Hobbit. Beuren breathed a sigh of relief, she didn't know what she would do if she had to fight him off of the Hobbit with one hand.
"That's a poor price to take back to the Shire." 

"One day it'll grow. And everytime I look at it, I'll remember - Remember everything that happened, the good, the bad. And how lucky I am that I made it home." Bilbo smiled back up at Thorin. "Thorin, I-"

"Thorin, survivors...from Laketown. They are streaming into Dale. There's hundreds of them." Dwalin interrupted, jogging forward as he relayed the news. 

"Call everyone to the gate." Thorin's stony resolve returned. "TO THE GATE! NOW!" Beuren stepped out from her hiding spot as Thorin hurried to the gate. Dwalin watched her carefully, both sharing a look of concern. 

"You should go, he still thinks you've gone." Dwalin added stiffly, moving to follow his King and the Hobbit to the gate. 

Thorin had ordered the entrance sealed. The dwarves moved boulder after bolder before the splintered remnants of the gate. Thorin stood by, making sure that everything was done correctly. Beuren watched from the stairs as her companions reluctantly sealed the gate.
"I want this fortress made safe by sunup. This mountain was hard won - I will not see it taken again."

"The people of Laketown have nothing." Kili dumped the heavy stone he was carrying, turning to look at his uncle. "They come to us in need. They have lost everything."

"Do not tell me what they have lost." Thorin seethed. "I know well enough their hardship. Those who have lived through dragonfire should rejoice. They have much to be grateful for." Kili shook his head, looking back at Beuren who shared a look of distress. "More stone. BRING MORE STONE TO THE GATE!" 

"He has completely lost it." Kili said, pacing the length of Beuren's room in the wee hours of the morning. "It's the gold, it's poisoned him." Beuren rose, pulling Kili towards her and seating him on the bed. Dwalin sat quietly in the chair as Beuren knelt before her nephew, taking his hands in hers. 

"I know it's hard right now, but you've got to remember that he is sick." She took a rag from the night stand and dabbed it in a pale of water she'd been brought to clean up with. She began cleaning the scrapes and cuts on Kili's hands as she spoke. "Your Uncle is strong. I believe he will realize what he's become in due time." Beuren said optimistically. 

"No, you don't." Kili hissed at a particularly deep cut. "You don't believe that." She shook her head. 

"I have to believe that he will get better." She threw the cloth down, turning from Kili and Dwalin. "I have to." Dwalin rose, taking her elbow and turning her towards him. 

"Get some rest, Beuren." Dwalin nodded for Kili to leave and he did so in a flurry of anger and disappointment. "Are you alright? Have you eaten?"

"Yes, I'm just... he's getting worse Dwalin." He hugged her close as she sighed. "What if he never gets better?"

"Don't think like that lass." Footsteps sounded in the hall. "Kili I told you to..." Fili stood, his blue eyes wide.