Chapter 19

She laid back down. A light blush crept across her cheeks, still surprised by the tattoo. Rolling over she decided to try and sleep again. However, an arm wrapped around her and pulled her back a slight bit. Thorin kissed the nape of her neck gently then smiled.

“This must be a dream, has to be.” Thorin’s husky voice muttered into her shoulders.

“Do you wish it to be?”

“No.” Beuren grew even redder. She couldn’t think of anything to say. Beuren scooted closer, her bare back against his torso. It was only then that she’d realized how cold she was, the slight burn-like the one you get when you come in from the winter wind and take a hot bath-spread throughout her body, making her shiver a bit. There was a knock at the door. The two of them looked at one another, then at the door.

“Thorin? Are you in there?” Dwalin boomed, loud enough to wake the dead. Thorin held in a laugh and grinned into Beuren’s shoulder. There was no way on earth he was getting up and answering the door, not with Beuren so close. He heard Dis in the background, though he couldn’t make out what she was saying. “Are you sure? Ok. Beuren is looking for you!” Beuren snorted into her pillow and sat up, pulling the thin sheet off the bed and wrapping it around herself leaving her arms and shoulders exposed. He rolled over and started dressing. With a giggle she threw the door open.

“And I found him!” Dwalin looked stunned then glanced back at Thorin, who was tucking his shirt in.

“Mpoligies.” Dwalin mumbled, hurrying out of the house, Dis close behind. They waited for several seconds then burst into laughter. Thorin started, barefoot towards the door. He caught Beuren’s hips and pulled her towards him.

“You, my lady, have a knack for embarrassing that poor man.” She smiled at all the memories of ways she’d embarrassed Dwalin before, and there was no shortage of them!

“Ah, he’ll get over it… eventually.” Thorin shook his head and pressed his lips to hers. Pulling away, he started down the hall.

“Can I get you anything? Breakfast, a drink?” There was no reply. He waited for several more minutes and then asked again, still no reply. He started back towards the bedroom. It was utterly silent in the house. The door was closed, he knocked softly. “Beuren? Are you alright?” Carefully he opened the door.

The room was empty. Shifting his eyes to the window he saw it was open. The sheet was lying in a crumpled heap on the floor, her dress from the night before was missing. But what really got his attention was what was written on the paper. Stuck to the wall with a small dagger, was a note, clearly Beuren’s hand writing. Catch me if you can it read. With a smile he looked at the window.

“You little minx.” He laughed. Quickly he put on his boots and started out of the house. He saw the head of the guard coming his way.

“Dwalin!” The dwarf looked up at him.

“About earlier…”

“Don’t mention it. Tell the guard to keep an eye out for Beuren, and if they see her, catcher and bring her to me.”

“May I ask why?”

“You can, but I don’t think you’d care for the answer.”

“Good enough. Hilderrun!” Dwalin relayed the message. Thorin smiled, he could see the priceless glare on her face now.

“Two can play at this game, love.” He muttered under his breath. Starting back to the throne room, Dwalin in close pursuit, they discussed the happenings of the night before… well, the happenings on the guard that is.