Chapter 59

"What do your keen eyes see through these mists?" Dwalin shouted from the back of the boat. 

"Uh... nothing." Beuren replied, squinting through the fog. "Yeah, nothing." 

"That is not helpful." Dwalin shouted in return. 

"Rock on our right!" He and Thorin steered the boat left. "REALLY BIG ROCK ON OUR LEFT!" 

"This is hopeless." Bilbo shivered beside Beuren. "We should wait for the fog to lift." 

"Unfortunately, it won't life for a very long while. It is the nature of these lands at the come winter, fog, snow, and ice all around you. Nothing but." Beuren leaned over the edge of the boat, pushing the stern away from another giant rock. "We should reach the shore any minute! It used to only take us two hours to reach the other side! Remember it dear? All the times we took Dis out with us when we went fishing?" She grinned back at Thorin, his steely gaze looking straight through her. Everyone sat awkwardly, waiting for him to reply. 

"I went with you once." Dwalin said, shifting his glare from Thorin. "You and I had Frerin that time I believe, he was just a little tyke. Too busy watching the fish swim about he forgot to even cast his line." Beuren was silent now, slightly crestfallen by her husband's behavior. 

"Rock to the right." 

They had reached the shore in just over an hour. Their hike to the overlook was no pleasant trip. Beuren's teeth chattered as she hugged her arms close to herself, the first flakes of snow falling and catching in her hair. Bilbo almost wished he could wear shoes, the frost biting at his toes was making him shiver. Balin's footing slipped when he stepped on a patch of ice, nearly causing him to tumble backwards when Beuren caught him. The rest of the company was fit to return to their homes by now too, all cold and miserable (either from their hangovers from the night before or from the cold). 

"Master Burglar." Thorin shouted from the head of the company, the Hobbit picked up his pace to meet their leader. "How are you fairing?"

"I'm cold, Thorin. It's cold." 

"Need you another coat?" 

"Thorin, your wife is back there in-"

"What was that Bilbo?" He looked back at her, her eyes cold as the ice he stood upon. She hugged her newly acquired furs closer to her body. 

"Erm, nothing. No, I'm fine, thank you." Bilbo turned forward ducking his head against the breeze that picked up. 

"He's changing." Dwalin muttered in Beuren's ear. "I'm sorry, little one." 

"Don't be." She shuddered. "He's your king, not mine." Dwalin's heart sank at the venom in her tone. 

"He still loves you, Beuren."

"Like he loves those boys he left back in that lake?" Beuren shook her head. "I shouldn't have come. I should have gone with Gandalf." 

"If it's any condolence, I'm happy you're here." She chuckled to herself. "Otherwise I'd have to put up with him myself." Beuren bumped his shoulder with hers. 

"Thank you for the cloak." The half elf looked back up at him. "If you get cold, please tell me." 

"Ah, if I get too bad I'll just roll Bombur up the hill, get the blood flowing." She laughed outright at his teasing. 

"You're a stubborn old goat, Dwalin!"

"Don't pretend you're some spring chicken, lassie, you're only a few years younger than me." Faking offense, she shoved him playfully and ducked to avoid being put in a headlock. 

"Look!" They both reached for their weapons out of instinct but were surprised when they saw the ruins. 

"What is this place?" Bilbo looked to Balin. 

"It was once the city of Dale. Now it is a ruin. The desolation of Smaug." Balin sighed, looking down at the scorched stones of a once great city. 

"The sun will soon reach midday; let's find the hidden door into the mountain before it sets. This way!"

"Wait." Bilbo and Beuren said in unison. "Is this the overlook? Gandalf said to meet him here. On no account were we-"

"Do you see him? We have no time to wait upon the wizard. We're on our own."

"Thorin, this is a bad idea. Trust me, we should wait. We haven't the man power to take on a dragon, we need to wait for Gandalf." 

"We will make do!" 

"You are on a suicide mission! You are going to get everyone here killed!" 

"I should have let you stay in Laketown." He snapped back. "You have grown fearful in your age." 

"In my age? I've grown fearful of dragons since I nearly got killed by one!"

"Stay if you wish. I care not. But I am going to reclaim my homeland. With or without you." Thorin turned from the conversation. "Come!" They rest of the company trotted along behind him. 

"What did I do to ruin your parade huh?" She whispered towards the sky. "I was a good kid. I ate my vegetables. I cleaned up my messes. I minded my mother. What the hell did I do to deserve this?" When no response came, as if the gods were actually going to give her one, she rolled her eyes and started after the company.