Chapter 21

“What is it laddy?” Balin said looking at the breathless prince.

“Baby.” Thorin pointed, trying to catch his breath.

“Baby?” The brothers looked at each other. “BABY!”

“I’ll get the healer!” Balin exclaimed.

“I’ll find Dosdrat, Thorin, keep her comfortable till we get there!” Dwalin ordered. The two of them disappeared. With one last groan, Thorin leapt down the stairs, running towards his home. He burst through the door into the spare bedroom and found someone already sitting there.

“The best Jazmin tea in all of Middle Earth!”

“Really?” Dis gasped, through a contraction.

“Deep breath, hon, and yes. Oh, and the gardens, I wish you would’ve come, it was utterly beautiful.”

Thorin could hardly believe his eyes. Beuren’s small frame was perched on the edge of a chair next to the bed. She was trying to keep Dis preoccupied, keep her from getting stressed. She seemed to be doing a good job at it to, kudos to her. The subjects ranged from her recent journey, to hair braiding, all the way to river rocks and horse saddles. Odd conversations, yes, but it worked miracles.

Dosdrat entered first, his face full of excitement Thorin moved further into the room so he could be near Dis. Dwalin smiled down at him then leaned against the door frame. Thorin’s sister looked at her husband, then instantly started throwing anything within reach at him.

“YOU SON OF A BITCH!” Beuren was bent forward laughing, her face hidden in the blankets on the bed. Dosdrat looked at Thorin, as if he’d know what to do.

“Duck and dodge lad!” He yelled over his furious sister’s screaming. Balin and the Healer entered, she stopped throwing objects and gave one last moan in pain then flopped back into the bed. Beuren took her hand and looked at the men.

“You might want to step out for this, it’s not going to be pretty.” They nodded and backed out of the room, closing the door behind them.

After forty minutes of endless screaming, Dwalin, Thorin, Dorsdrat, and Balin began to get quite worried. There had to have been some progress made. The baby had to be almost here, right? Oh but they were right, the baby was almost here, closer than they thought. Another twenty minutes went by when they heard the silence. Dis had stopped screaming, the muffled sound of footsteps and murmurs.

“Why… why isn’t it crying?” Dosdrat whispered. They all shared a worried glance.

“Beuren!” Dis cried.

“Dis, hon, I need you to…”

“Why isn’t it crying?!” Dis snarled.

Inside the room, the healer looked at Beuren. His eyes worried as he checked over the baby. The newborn boy was silent. Finally, frustrated, the healer cursed the child and beat his fist on the table next to it, it burst into tears, wailing and screeching. Beuren gave a loud sigh and sat down on the bed beside Dis.

“It’s alright, the baby is fine.” The healer said, handing the infant to Dis.

“I’ll go get your husband.” Beuren said, smiling. She’d missed their wedding, but at this point in time it was irrelevant. As soon as she crossed the thresh hold into the living room, the others stood. She nodded towards the back room, Dosdrat hurried to his wife’s side.

“When did you get back?” Thorin asked.

“Not but ten minutes before.” Beuren replied, they heard raised voices in the other room, then laughed as Drosdrat ducked out of the room.