Chapter 39

“You were brave.” Kili looked up at him. “Good work.” Kili nodded, still not sure how to take it, he rarely got praise from Thorin, usually he got it from his brother, or even his mother.

“Indeed he was, always has been, reckless, yes, but as brave as a lion.” Beuren said, getting to her feet. Bilbo had cut her out of the burlap sack that held her. “Just like his father.” She said, running a hand through his dark curly hair. Kili smiled his crooked little boy grin up at her. Thorin nodded, keeping silent. “Now, go help your brother, he’s obviously having difficulties.” They all turned to see Fili trying to get a knife of his that was imbedded in a tree trunk out; it was quite a comical sight honestly. Kili grinned, leaving to help his brother. “And you…” Beuren said, looking down at the Hobbit. “Were bloody brilliant.” She put an arm around his shoulders. “How’d you come up with parasites?” Bilbo shrugged as they walked away to gather her weapons. Thorin watched on, a little surprised that he didn’t even get a thank you for saving her from the troll and giving her a weapon.

“Where did you go if I may ask?” The dwarf asked, turning away to look at the wizard.

“To look ahead.”

“And what brought you back?”

“Looking behind.” The dwarf nodded, smirking a bit and nodding his head. “Nasty business. Still they are all in one piece.”

“No thanks to your burglar.” Thorin added.

“He had the nous to play for time. None of the rest of you thought of that.” Thorin said nothing, then started examining the trolls.

“Since when do mountain trolls venture this far south?” Thorin said, more to himself, but Gandalf answered.

“Oh, not for an age, not since a darker power ruled these lands.” Gandalf said with a frown. “They could not have moved in daylight.”

“Then there must be a cave nearby.” Thorin stepped forward, almost running into Beuren. She was gazing up at one of the trolls, a depressed look in her green eyes.

“He was there that one.” She nodded. Thorin was confused, but Gandalf knew of what she spoke. “He was the one who grabbed my hair, before Ada cut it.” She bowed her head.

“Ada?” Thorin asked as Gandalf walked away. “Who’s that?”

“Ada means father in Elvish,” she didn’t finish, didn’t have to. Thorin put his hand on her shoulder, turning her towards him.

“Come, let us find the cave.” He let his hand slide down her back, stopping at the end of her bodice. She didn’t pull away, or push his hand away; actually, she leaned into his touch a bit. Perhaps the weeks of fighting were over, he wished they would be.

They walked for a while, and then she coughed, nearly gaging. Beuren’s hand covered her nose; the fowl stench had reached her sensitive nose first. As they got closer the dwarves started smelling it to, but it was a troll hoard, who knows what sort of things they would find. She stayed outside the cave, standing guard while the others looked around. When they all emerged again, she was greeted by Kili, who looked a little sick. She laughed, patting his back. She heard something, looking back towards the way they’d come. She just watched, now curious to figure out what it was, it was like nothing she’d ever heard.

“Something’s coming.” Thorin boomed, everyone started running, Beuren followed, throwing glances over her shoulder to see if she could see. Then she leapt to the side to avoid being flattened by something bursting out of the bushes behind her. When she looked up, there he was. Radagast.

“Theives! Fire! Murder!” Everyone stopped and looked at the eccentric wizard. Beuren stood, dusting herself off and making her way to the front of the company, smiling once she realized what was pulling his sled.