Chapter 73

As the sun rose, so did Beuren. She stood waiting patiently for Balin to arrive. He brought with him a small breakfast and a burlap sack of horrors. With a small nod, Beuren struggled to straighten her left arm and get it through the armhole of the corset. If it was battle he wanted, it would be battle he got. 

The company stood over the sealed gates, watching as Thraduil's elves and Bard's men gathered in the plain below. Thorin, crown atop his head, looked down his nose as the leaders rode forward on their steeds. The smirk Thraduil wore made Thorin suspicious, what cunning had he planned? Thorin quickly strung a bow, firing at the hooves of Thraduil's elk. 

"I'll put the next one between your eyes!" He shouted, to which his dwarves cheered. Thraduil's smirk grew. 

"We've come to tell you: payment of your debt has been offered...and accepted." Thorin looked confused. 

"What payment? I gave you nothing! You have nothing!"

"We have this." Bard reached into his coat, removing the glittering king's jewel.

"They have the Arkenstone? Thieves!" Kili shouted, leaning over the rampart. "How came you by the heirloom of our house? That stone belongs to the king!" 

"And the king may have it - in our good will." Bard bartered "But first he must honor his word."

"They are taking us for fools. This is a ruse, a filthy lie." Thorin shook his head stubbornly. "THE ARKENSTONE IS IN THIS MOUNTAIN! IT IS A TRICK!"

"It-It's no trick. The stone is real. I gave it to them." Thorin spun around to face Bilbo. 

"You."

"I took it as my fourteenth share."

"You would steal from me?"

"Steal from you? No." Bilbo shook his head. "No. I may be a burglar, but I like to think I'm an honest one. I'm willing to let it stand against my claim."

"Against your claim?! Your claim! You have no claim over me you miserable rat!" Thorin shouted.
"I was going to give it to you. Many times I wanted to, but..."

"But what, thief?!"

"You are changed, Thorin!" Bilbo cried. "The dwarf I met in Bag End would never have gone back on his word! Would never have doubted the loyalty of his kin!"

"Do not speak to me...of loyalty!" Thorin turned from the Hobbit. "Throw him over the rampart." The entire company stepped backwards. "DO YOU HEAR ME?" He grabbed Fili's arm. Fili yanked himself free, looking at his Uncle in horror. "I will do it myself!" He took Bilbo by the front of his shirt and drug him toward the rampart. He froze however, when the blade of a ruby handled knife zinged past his right cheek. 

"RELEASE HIM!" Thorin turned, looking back at the voice calling to him. 

"You." He growled. "I banished you days ago."

"Release him now or I will have no choice but to make you." Beuren threatened. Her armor hugged her tightly, the blade in her hand clearly of elven make. This armor had been intended as a gift to her once, before the dragon. Dwalin and Frerin had accompanied Dis when she purchased it from an elf armorer. 

"You have no power here, whore." 

"I, Beuren Elendil, daughter of Arador, heiress to the throne of Gondor, Cheiftan of the Dunedain, hereby put this Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, under my protection." Thorin stepped closer, releasing his grip on Bilbo. "As my charge, any harm that comes to him shall be met with extreme violence." She shoved herself between Bilbo and Thorin. She strode backwards, forcing the Hobbit back as well. 

"You filthy elven traitor!" 

"Step back." She warned, Bofur took Bilbo by the sleeve forcing him down the rope that served as the only way out of the mountain. 

"You are in my kingdom."

"STEP BACK." Thorin drew his own sword, swinging it clumsily at Beuren in his anger. She deflected the blade stepping into him and headbutting his nose-just as Dwlain had taught her when she was little-and forcing him backwards. "Once more, he is my charge and no harm will come to him." She stepped closer. "And I don't think I need to remind you how good I am at my job." She looked back to the company, her friends and family. "Any of you who chose to follow me shall be considered under the same protections." Kili looked conflicted, Fili too. Balin and Dwalin only hung their heads. "So be it." 

She leapt over the parapet, taking the rope in a gloved hand and sliding to the bridge below. Beuren strode forward, taking the back of Bilbo's jacket and pulling him in front of her. Backs to the mountain, the made for Gandalf, Bard, and Thranduil.