[ 17 ] 2013

[ 17 ] 2013 

-

"Shakespeare sucks and is a fucking waste of everyone's time. No one gives a shit about him."

-

The first class where he would be seeing her was Shakespeare, where all they did was read the plays and sometimes did partner assignments in which they had to perform a scene in front of the class. This was Calum's least favorite class. Somehow, he saw performing scenes from Twelfth NightHamlet, or Taming of the Shrew to be absolutely embarrassing and ridiculous. What did it really matter what Shakespeare was trying to portray when Hamlet gives his famous To Be or Not to Be monologue anyway? How would that help anyone perform any kind of task at their future job? Calum didn't think school was of any use to him, especially when he was a senior in high school and had no idea what he enjoyed enough to do as a job.

He walked to his first period class in the english hall on his own. All around him were crowds of athletes with their friends, popular girls applying yet another layer of make-up to their already fake appearance, and honors geeks discussing the readings which would be talked about in class discussions that day.

Calum walked into the school gym from the math hall. On the other side of the gym was a door that would take him out onto the history hall, from which he would eventually reach his first class. Dirk Van Rankin, a Dutch student who had moved to Australia from the Netherlands a year before, caught up with the raven haired boy. When Calum told the coach he would be leaving for a few weeks, the coach asked him to choose the best candidate to take over the captaincy in his absense. 

Calum had opted for the Dutch boy. Of all of his other team mates, Dirk was the most skilled and Calum appointed him as captain. "Back so soon?" Dirk asked curiously, in a thick accent. Clearly, he had been enjoying his role as captain of the team. And he had only been in the position for a few days.

Nodding, Calum said, "Yeah."

"I thought you'd be gone longer." Shrugged the Dutch student.

"Things came up." The raven haired boy informed him. Sighing, he added a question, "What do you want, Dirk?"

"We have an important game today." Dirk informed him. "I just wanted to know if you'd be returning today." He noticed Calum didn't have his training bag with him and wanted to know if he would even be present at the game.

But Calum had no mind for the team of the blonde haired Dutch boy who was talking to him. He waved a hand in front of his face and told him, "Take care of everything on the team for the next week. I have other things to worry about. Go." He ordered. Suddenly stopping in his stride beside Calum, Dirk nodded and was on his way.

The raven haired shifter made it to class with seconds to spare. He entered the class room and went to his usual seat. It was a small classroom that had once been part of the school library. When the school had opened long ago, there had been a library in the east hall of the school. As they adquired more books over the years, they needed more space to put them and eventually had an entire building put up for the library. Now having an empty space, they split it into two small classrooms for elective classes.

Inside there were twenty five seats for seven students and noticed that when he reached his seat next to Harley, it was already taken.

"Oi," Calum stood over them with a glare. "That's my seat." He said to Jack Quimby.

"Calum," The elderly man who taught the class called to him, "Take a seat."

"I can't." He shook his head. "How can I sit when someone's in my seat?"