[ 51 ] 2014

[ 51 ] 2014

-

"I'm happy this way, with you. Don't doubt that."

-

By her third day working at the cafe as nothing more than Saris' slave, Harley was finally given an easier job. Though it was momentarily because Saris was at home, bed ridden with stomach cramps. She had been very dramatic, playing it up for her grandmother, but Rory and Harley knew she just wanted a break from the cafe. Harley was relieved that she wouldn't have to follow her cousin's orders, at least for a few days.

The person in charge was her other cousin, Ever. He was more of the type who ignored Harley and had her work the register while he and Rory took over the bar.

Harley was standing at the register, with nothing to do on a slow day, when a young man walked in. Behind him walked in Phoenix. The boy had dark hair, fair skin, and dark brown eyes. His lips pulled up into a smile as he greeted Harley, "You're new here. Normally Saris is at the register." He pointed out. "But I know I've seen you somewhere."

Harley knew exactly who he was. He was James Brady, basketball player, friend of Billy, and part of the popular kids. They had gone to primary, middle and high school together, until she moved to Sydney. But since she was practically invisible when she was living in Perth, she guessed he wouldn't remember that they shared a lot of the same classes for over ten years. She gave a sigh and a nonchalant shrug of her shoulders. "I went to Applecross Senior High School, Billy is my older brother. Now, how may I help you today?"

"Really?" He grinned, "I think I would have remembered you."

You wouldn't, Harley thought to herself.

"You said Billy is your brother?" He asked. "Billy Quinn? He and I were best friends! How is that kid?"

Harley shrugged her shoulders. "He's fine."

From behind him, Harley saw Phoenix tap the basketball player's shoulder. "Will you hurry up, James? Some of us want to order a drink, today."

He waved her off. "Shut up, Phoebe." And turning back to Harley, he said, looking at her name tag, "Well Harley, there's going to be a party tonight after the basketball game-"

"Provided that you actually win." Phoenix commented.

He shot her a slight glare over his shoulder. "We always win." He corrected her, the proud smile on his face was unmistakable. Getting his attention back to Harley Quinn, he continued, "It would be nice if you went."

Harley bit down on her lip. "I'll think about it."

"Great." He smiled. "Then I'll have a large mocha frappe."

Harley quickly jotted down his order, and he went to find a table. When it was Phoenix's turn to order, she gushed about the party, and pestered Harley about going. Harley knew Phoenix was only interested because of her own selfish reasons. But Harley thought getting away from her cousins and her grandmother would be nice.

-

That afternoon, as they left the cafe with Ever, Harley mentioned the party to Rory. "Will you come with me?" She asked her cousin.

Rory nodded her head. "I have a friend on the basketball team, so I guess I can go."

Harley thought about asking her grandparents for permission to go. She was still a minor after all, but she decided not to. Her grandmother would probably not let her go. Instead, she and Rory decided to sneak out.