18

Mina's POV
Coach finally gave in, but sadly that included us staying at a creepy ass motel. I scrunch my nose as I walk into the room I'm sharing with Cassie. "It smells in here," she complains. I nod my head emotionless and jump onto the bed anyway. Exhaustion hits my body like a giant tidal wave. Even mermaids get tussled around in those. We just know how to get out of them effectively, without dying that is. As of this moment though, the tidal wave took me out into the abyss of sleep.

"Mina, mina..." I hear a deep voice call. My eyes slowly open and meet a familiar pair of greenish blue orbs. He smiles at me as if no time has passed. As if nothing bad happened between us. As if we are together again.

"Wha-what are you doing here? You can't be. You're -you're dead," I stutter moving away from his sitting figure. Him being on one side of the small motel bed and I on the other edge still laying down across the covers. He softly smiles and reaches out to touch my cheek, but I freak out and end up rolling off of the bed and proceed to hit the ground. Jumping to a standing position, my breathing becomes hectic out of confusion and panic. He's now standing as well, his face looking troubled and his eyes staring at me intently.

"I am dead, Mina. Remember your pod killed me. You were there, you helped them. I thought you loved me, but you turned against me just like the rest of them," he says with a sad tone, his blue eyes peircing mine.

"Wha-. I didn't help them, they were restraining me. I couldn't save you. I'm sorry," I cry stepping close to him, the memories of what happened flashing across my mind.

"Did you ever love me?"

"Evan.. You know I did."

He pauses and closes the distance between us. "Good. We can be together again. This time your pod can't get between us, Mina."

"Ho-how?" He takes my hand and I follow behind him numbly to the bathroom. At the back of my subconscious, a part of me knew this wasn't right, wasn't real. But it feels real and almost every part of me wants to do anything he tells me. No other thoughts in mind. That's how I end up sitting in a bathtub of water, my orange tail sticking out over the rim.
🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹
Cassie's POV
After I put my stuff in the motel room, I told Mina that I needed a snack so I'll be right back. Although she was already going to sleep, so I'm pretty sure she didn't even notice that I left.
Shivers run through my body as I walk to the vending machine which happens to be on the other end of the motel. This place is creepy and weird. I don't like it.
As if on cue, I look behind me as paranoia overcomes me. Is someone behind me? I look but all I see is the flickering dim lights that lit up the motel. No one, but me, myself and I.

I turn around and continue to walk, but once I reached the vending machine, my nerves only get worse. The sight putting me over a cliff. My mother stood there in human form. She crosses her arms, pure disappointment covering her features. Just how I remember.

Memories resurface, but not the good ones, only the bad. Believe it or not, my childhood wasn't all that great. I wasn't always a part of the pod. My mother raised me in solitude, just so she could raise me in a way that no mermaid should be raised. After I swam away and joined Mina's pod, I never saw her face again, until now that is.

"What? Thought you could get rid of me so easily dear," she taunts with her usual stature of thinking she's better than anyone else. My body shakes in fear, my knees immediately becoming weak causing me stumble backwards.

"M-mother... How are you here?" I stumble over my words as I stare at her cautiously, afraid of what she will do. Her curly blonde hair flowing in the wind and a navy blue dress flows around her ankles and her blue eyes pierce my own in a dangerously familiar way. She advances onto my shaking form pushing me towards the railing of the second floor.