Watch Your Back

"No one should be left to suffer alone."

                        - Anonymous

Athena made it as far as five doors away from the gym room, her head turning back every second like a broken machine.

The incessant screams followed her and she admitted defeat.

She couldn't bear to leave knowing everyone had dug their own grave early just for her while she cower away. She also didn't want anyone to get hurt in spite of that someone being her assailant and got his own taste of medicine.

She threw the goddamn tempting fries and burger a side, hearing her heart crack as she strode back with newly found tremulous confidence.

The door broke open. Athena felt a wave forcing itself from her stomach to her mouth. "STOP!"

That was it. The roof went off and her vocal cords broke.

She needed doctor immediately, but when was she ever lucky?

To her surprise, the one word that came across as useless in her entire life actually worked.

All eyes were framed on her as they checked their surroundings, seeming like they succeeded in snapping out of a wicked spell casted upon them.

Thea got off the top, so used to being there that she had to be on this complex one.

Deliberately, the students began breaking ways, some did it lightning fast, scared stiff of their demises in the hands of the God of A-list while some got up exceptionally gradual, hoping to stay longer while they were alive.

Xerus didn't wait for the pile that compressed him to clear as he rose to his feet, head hung lowly and shoulders exceedingly slumped to the front, breathing in quick, short breaths, as though he had sustained through an onslaught of zombies, the only sole survivor.

Thea gasped at the sight of Xerus.

Thick crimson fluid dribbled down the side of Xerus' head, making his hair slightly damp as several very visible, deep cuts unveiled on his arms behind his shredded coat when he staggered.

Immediately upon lifting his head a little, fear found the students.

Blood was also present at the corner of his beguiling lips that smudged towards his neck and his cheeks were covered in dreadful abrasions all the way to his eyes.

These injuries were no doubt from the pedicured nails of the students.

Dead.

They were all dead.

Not as in their lives but their family, their people in their neighbourhood, hometown, even those who they had so small connections with.

And the students?

Their souls will never get to heaven before they get clobbered by Xerus first.

"Oh Jesus Christ! Xerus! Oh my goodness! Oh my God! Oh my God! What do I do?!" Thea freaked out, examining his face holding his head in her hands but he pulled away roughly, looking at Thea, but not really.

He was looking at the person behind her.

"You," he uttered under his uneven breath, eyes twitching in detestation, never could he bring himself to speak of her name.

"For how long do you plan to watch me in torment before you're satisfi—" He choked on his words, gasping for air as he wiped the blood from his temple, showing Athena what dire things her presence always brought him.