Alter Egos (Sannotori/Mikado Sannoji x Teruya Otori)

(Warnings: Spoilers for chapters 5/0/6 of SDRA2, strangulation, and referenced spoilers for Goodbye Despair! This is placed between the 2 separate footages of Teruya and Mikado shown in chapter 6!)

"Oh, Teruyaaa~!" Mikado skipped into the room with a sing-song voice. "I brought you some rice! And I didn't bring Iroha this time!"

Teruya looked up from his position on the floor, halting his struggle to unbind his hands. "I don't care." He dryly responded, glaring at the wizard.

Mikado's mask turned to a pout as he put the bowl of rice in front of him. "Don't be mean..." He whined. "I did bring you food, after all. I don't want you to starve."

"Don't pretend that you care." Teruya pushed the bowl away from him with his foot. "If you did, you wouldn't have put me into this game in the first place."

Mikado moved the bowl back. "But I-"

"Or taken my memories. Or ridicule me at every chance."

There was nothing that Mikado could say to that. He had to distance himself from everything in order to cut his ties and be reborn again, and if that included Teruya, then so be it. "I hope you enjoy the rice." He replied, turning to leave the warehouse.

Before he could set foot outside of the hidden room, he heard Teruya speak up. "You know, you two aren't so different." The merchant mused.

"Ahaha, me and who~?" Mikado played along, thinking his rambling was because of delirium or shock.

"Nikei."

Mikado whirled around in an instant, storming back to Teruya. "What did you just say?!" He growled.

"This is because of an inferiority complex, isn't it?" Teruya smiled and turned his head away from the man in front of him.

The wizard reeled back in shock. "I-Inferiority complex?! How dare-!"

"You know, I've always seen the signs." The merchant sighed. "I have my memories back. I remember you, your father, and that lab."

"W-What does that have to do with anything?!" The other shrieked.

"I remember you were always looking at your father in a jealous way, glaring at him even. I know it wasn't just because of my attention to him because you looked at him that way even if he was doing normal things like drinking coffee and hacking some random person's assets." Teruya smiled at that last part, internally wondering how Mikado's black-haired counterpart hadn't gotten arrested for that. "It was because you wanted to be human, isn't it?"

"H-Huh?!"

"You're doing all of this...even stealing Akane Taira's braindead body...just so that you could be human. You were created from the data of brain patterns, as your father described it to me, so you want to do what Junko Enoshima did long ago so that you wouldn't see yourself as 'less than human' anymore, right? After all, if you had a braindead body and uploaded yourself into it, then both the body and the mind would be complete."

"Shut up, shut up, shut up..." The wizard was trembling with anger as the merchant kept talking.

"Your feelings of inferiority to humanity is why you killed him, isn't it, Alter Ego?!" Teruya suddenly shouted with tears in his eyes.

"SHUT UP!" Mikado suddenly wrapped his hands around Teruya's throat and roughly squeezed.

"Why...did...you...I...loved...you...both..." Teruya's attempt at talking dissolved into a mixture of choked gasps and coughing. Mikado eventually released him, and his body went limp at he gasped for air.

"...Don't you ever bring this up again." Mikado turned around and went to the door. "Next time, I WILL kill you if you try. Understood?" He didn't wait around for an answer, stepping out of the room and slamming the door shut.

Teruya watched him leave and angrily slam the door. All alone, he began to cry for his murdered lover, his life that will be taken from him, and his failure to prevent all of this in the first place.

Art credit: HUH_SU_sdra on twitter