Chapter 7

West smacked Chad's arm to get his attention and pointed to the tomato stand.

"Not my favourite food, but I can definitely get behind tomatoes for lunch. Better than starving at least." Chad's stomach growled loudly again and he looked down before biting out, "You shut up. I said we weren't starving today."

West snickered before grabbing Chad's arm to drag him to the tomato vendor. Beyond the head of long curly wool and odd sheep ears, Chad begrudgingly took note of her "be vegan, stop climate change" shirt and attempted not to roll his eyes.

"Hi! I'm Megan, what can I do for you two boys today?" The cheerful black sheep girl greeted as Chad and West got closer.

"Well, don't you just sell tomatoes? That's what I get from the sign anyways," Chad questioned, pointing to the crudely painted "tomatoes" sign.

"Well, I guess you're right, but it never hurts to ask anyway."

Chad looked at West who shrugged before speaking. "Um, gimme a second."

As West pulled out his very expensive and somehow still intact phone, he unlocked the screen and went to pull something up. Chad tapped his foot awkwardly for a few seconds.

"So," Chad drawled. "Do you really not sell anything other than tomatoes?"

"Well, there is one other thing, but I try not to bring it up. It upsets a lot of people which sure puts a damper on business," Megan replied.

"Oh come on, it can't be that bad. It isn't like you're selling human meat or something, is it?"

"Hm, you two sure don't know the customs here too well. You must be new, what did you do that the king sent you here if you don't mind me asking?"

"I mean, I asked you a question first but the fact that you don't know that I'm the prince is just insulting enough for me not to care right now. I'm here on-" Chad paused for a second. "Official business. Now answer my question lamb girl."

"I'm a sheep actually, and I'm so sorry your majesty! I didn't mean to offend," Megan apologised before dropping her voice to a whisper.  "I also carry fresh fish that my boyfriend brings in. He catches it daily so I sell whatever he can't on the mainland. You must have met him on your way here."

"Oh yeah?" West piped in, still looking for something.

"I sure hope not, everyone we've met so far sucks," Chad murmured just loud enough for himself and West to hear, earning him a jab in the ribs.

"Yep! His name is Samson, he operates the row boat that takes people to the island. No one ever visits the island though so business that way isn't too good."

Both boys tensed at the mention of the less than pleasant fish man. 

"That guy!?" Chad exclaimed, earning yet another elbow to the ribs from West. Chad cleared his throat. "Oh yeah, he brought us to the island. Uh, great guy, good company."

Chad glanced over at West still scrolling through his phone and then off into the distance on his opposite side. At this point, Chad's body was still rigid as he stood in front of the seemingly kind sheep girl. She seemed nothing like the grouchy fish guy they had met on their way over.

"West for the love of Caesar, what is taking you so long!?" Chad snapped, hoping to get away from the stand before Samson returned.

"Dude, I'm looking for a recipe. The signal out here is garbage, your dad really needs to fix that." West replied, still staring at his phone. 

Chad looked at West in bewilderment "Bro, you know how my dad feels about the vegans, he’d probably execute me just for bringing it up!"

West rolled his eyes at the statement. "At this point I think your dad would take any reason to have you executed, remind me again why he hates you so much?"