Chapter 59

It's five am and I still don't know whether I want to go to class or not. Chrissy is long gone and I'm still here, right in front of the window watching the snow fall. I take a deep breath before my feet lazily take me to the showers. 

The hot water washes over my whole body and I can no longer find the strength to move but yet all of a sudden I'm back at my dorm with my cabinet open, trying to choose an outfit.

Miles: "Where are you?"

I ignore the message and grab a white top before slipping into my light blue jeans. I still don't fully know how I feel about the situation last night. Seeing Jacob like that and knowing that Miles caused him that much pain, still hurts me. My feet take me hesitantly to class and to my surprise Miles isn't there. 

The professor talks about the test tomorrow and I feel as ready as ever. I grab my notebook and practice some test questions before he dismisses the class. My whole day is spent like this until I go to the last class of the day where the teacher is way too young and the class is too crowded.

"Hey." A familiar voice says and I turn around to see Stephanie with a smile.

"Can I sit with you?" she asks and I nod. We take out our laptops and write down as quickly as we manage, everything that the professor is saying.

"I'm getting coffee, you coming?" Stephanie stands up and I nod with a smile. She pours herself hot coffee while I order the same thing as always—a caramel frappuccino.

"We better hurry, Mr. Laurence can be a little, well . . . crazy." She giggles and we rush to class. The professor eyes us as we walk back inside the class.

"I thought I'd throw out a little college pop quiz for you guys!" he says and I gulp. I'm not ready for any quizzes or tests in anything other than creative writing, it's the only thing I've been thinking about. The teacher hands everyone a small sheet of questions I have no idea how to answer and after scribbling down my best I'm finally done, realizing that I'm the last person in the class.

"Madison?" Mr. Laurence says as I try to leave.

"Yeah?" I turn around.

"This is pretty good, I haven't seen you perform this well in class before." He says, nodding at the paper and I smile at him.

"Thanks," I say before leaving. Maybe all of the studying for Friday has paid off in more ways than one.

"I'll be okay." I smile to myself.

"Yo! Maddie!" I hear Miles's voice call and I hurry down the hall but he quickly taps at my shoulder.

"Babe? Are you avoiding me?" he asks, confusion clear on his face. His eyes are squinted and he shakes his head slightly.

"No." I lie.

"I was thinking . . ." His low voice says, his fingers graze at the bra strap that's peeking out of my shirt.

"Maybe we could hang out tonight? There's a party and I'd love to bring you." He says, eyes wide for a split second before a smirk appears on his perfect lips.

"I can't, I need to catch up on homework." I lie, I could go but I still need to gather my thoughts about last night.

"Come on babe." He pesters me but I shake my head and he finally leaves with a small kiss and roll of his eyes. I tie my hair up in a high ponytail before grabbing my laptop and re-organizing all of the notes I took in class. 

Having a laptop is so much easier and I'mn thankful to Miles for giving it to me but I can't help the feeling of something more going on with the fight. I look at the time on my phone go by and I realize that there's only so much studying I can do. I glance over at Chrissy's table to notice a few eyeshadows laid out and I can't help but approach them closer. 

The beautiful gold shines right into my eyes and I swat my finger, placing it over my eyelid before brushing it out with a makeup brush. I curl my hair even more before slipping into my black leggings and putting on a light blue crop top. 

I look at myself in the mirror before finally deciding to go to the party.