Chapter 50

I knock lightly at my dorm, not sure if Chrissy is asleep or not.

I glance at my phone it's almost one am. I try the door handle and to my surprise the door is open. The room is dark and my eyes haven't yet adjusted.

"Chrissy?" I say into the darkness, looking over at her bed. I spot a tall figure sitting there—too tall to be Chrissy. My heart starts to race at the thought of it being Hayden.

"No." Miles's voice sounds through the room and the rush of anxiety in my body calms down. I step into the room, slowly approaching him.

"What are you doing here? I ask and he turns on the small lamp on Chrissy's desk.

"I was about to leave actually." He says, standing up from the bed. He's much taller than me and especially when he's so close.

"How is Chrissy?" I ask, swallowing the lump in my throat that is threatening to overtake me.

"She's great." He simply says, approaching closer. He looks right into my eyes and I feel a little intimidated by the gaze. 

His hazel eyes almost look darker with the small light in the corner. As he stands there, towering over me, the memories of us together come rushing back and my emotions betray me. My eyes fill with tears and before I know it my arms are wrapped around him.

"What are you doing?" he asks harshly, taking my arms off him.

"Oh, I thought we—" I say, taking a few steps back.

"We what?" he says even harsher and I don't want to answer him.

"We'd be together?!" he says loudly with an almost disgusted face, making even more tears stream down my face.

"I don't know," I say, my voice much lower than I expected.

"Being with you . . . was a mistake." He says, his words cutting into my chest like a knife. My lips part to say something but I can't, my eyes betray me like never before. I look at him, my eyes unable to hold any tears back but he turns away and leaves me alone in the barely lit room.

I WAKE UP AND glance at my phone only to see that it's five am and I should be sleeping until at least seven am.

 I look across from me only to see that Chrissy still isn't there. Her back bag isn't beside her bed it like it always is. I stare at my phone, re-reading 'Monday' five times before finally turning the screen off with a loud sigh. 

I hear the door handle being pushed down and before I know it the door opens to reveal Chrissy. She looks at me with a small smile before stepping into the room and closing the door behind her.

"I didn't think you'd be back yet." She says but I don't know what to say.

"Chrissy—" I look down at my hands.

"Madison—" We laugh before I stand up from the bed.

"I'm sorry," I say in an almost whisper.

"Madison, it's okay." She says and I shake my head.

"What?" I ask, not knowing if my mind is playing tricks on me or not.

"I forgive you." She says, looking at me with a smile. I scan her face for any sign of sadness but she looks like she always does—happy.

"No, Chrissy I—"

"it's okay, It is. I forgive you and that's my choice." She says, looking me right into the eyes.

"I'm sorry too, you're my friend and I should have been there for you when . . . Miles brought you back to the cabin." She explains but I shake my head, parting my lips to say something but she stops me;