Chapter 8

THE SHOWER is hot against my skin, I don't like the thought of a conjoined shower, I'd rather have my old one, back at my mom's house even though this is far more of a luxury. 

 I feel like I've already broken Jace's promise of not changing, I have an entirely different wardrobe now and new friends. 

Jace has been on my mind for the past few days and not having a phone is slowly eating at me. I desperately want to contact both Jace and my mom but I know I just can't afford it right now. I run the razor over my legs before finally stepping out of the shower.

As I open the door leading to our dorm, I hear sniffling . . . Crying?

"what's wrong?" I ask, my voice low. I enter the room and turn on the light, Chrissy is lying on her bed with her face in the pillow. I rush over to her and sit down beside her.

"It's nothing, it's stupid." She says, wiping her tears.

She sits up on the bed and gives me a warm smile. Her nose is a little red and her eyes look bloodshot. I silently wait for her to say something more.

 I don't want to be pushy and if there's anything my mom has taught me it's not to stick my nose into other people's businesses.

"He's going to some party and he won't let me come with." She finally says embarrassed. "Oh, well I'm sure he has his reasons, who knows maybe he has a good reason for it. Boy's won't admit it but they need some boy nights too." I say hoping it'll help. Her face lights up slightly and I can see she's already in a better mood.

"I guess you're right, I don't even want to go anyway, I just asked if I could as a joke but he . . . he was so serious and his tone was so weird, He's never talked to me like . . . that." she says drawing out the last word.

"Can you sleep in the same bed as me? I'd ask my other friends but honestly, I think I'd feel the best with you right now." She says with almost pleading eyes. 

The idea doesn't bother me at all, I used to sleep in the same bed as Jace all the time, except when we both turned twelve, my mom sat me down and told me that ‚things are happening' to boys at that age and I wouldn't be allowed to anymore. Jace and I were both upset but we quickly forgot about it with my mom's candy bribes.

"Of course." I smile.

CLASS STARTS EARLY and I don't feel ready yet, my schedule is all over the place, but I don't care as long as my Friday's stay almost empty. I sit at the exact same place as yesterday, this time Miles, nowhere to be found. I pull out my notebook and start to write down almost every word the teacher says.

"Is this seat taken?" a familiar voice asks, his hot minty breath hits my neck leaving goosebumps flooding through my body. I turn my head slightly to the voice. Miles. His beautiful dark eyes flood into mine.

"Uh . . . n-no" I stammer and he gives me a small smile before drawing the chair backward and sitting down. His cologne instantly hits my nostrils. I wasn't expecting him to show up, especially with the class being half over. And I definitely did not expect him to talk to me. He chuckles revealing his perfect white smile. 

I stare at his big veiny hands and his short nails. He picks at his slightly red and bruised fists as his attention is fully focused on the professor. Everyone has a laptop except me. All I have is my pen and a notebook that I've only gotten to use in a few of my classes so far. 

Miles leans in slowly, keeping all of his attention at the board in front of us.

"Does this really do it for you?" He asks in a low tone.

"Well . . . It has too." I smile and he looks away with a huff. Yet again he's wearing nothing but black, black tight jeans and a black shirt, with the exception of dark brown boots which might as well be black by the look of them.

 At the corner of my eyes, I spot something black on his neck . . . a tattoo? How did I not notice it before? The small black rose is more apparent than any tattoo I've seen, I could almost trace the ink with my finger. How can this boy seem so nonchalant when his girlfriend was clearly upset by his actions last night?

"Staring isn't as polite as you might think." He says not turning his head.

"Sorry," I whisper and scramble to continue my note-taking as if he never confronted me.

"Professor?" Someone shouts.

"yes?" he answers with a pen in his hand.

"you made a mistake."

"Oh right, there are two P's in 'opposite'." The professor says and Miles rolls his eyes.

Miles leans in and my skin starts to form goosebumps before his hot breath even hits it.

"someone's trying to suck up to the teacher" he whispers and I giggle.

"I was just checking if you all were listening." The teacher explains. And the class laughs but Miles only smirks. I glance around the classroom, the majority of the girls seem to be looking at Miles once in a while, hoping he won't catch them but his eyes stay still as if they couldn't care less.

"I'll see you around, Madison," he says briefly licking his lips. I didn't even notice that the class had ended, I was too busy, lost in my own thoughts.

"Yeah . . . I'll see you." I say quietly but he's long gone.