My brother is an idiot... but what else is new?

I was up miraculously up before Fry, how I will never know.

On my way towards the kitchen, I saw Minho and Alby heading for the maze, but before they got there I walked up to them.

"Alby, why are you going into the maze?" From the looks on their faces I surprised them.

"Things are different now, I'm going in to retrace Ben's steps." I noticed when Alby said Ben's name Minho flinched and looked down.

"Okay... just, be careful you two." I smiled at them, Alby smiled back while Minho just nodded, which was unlike him but here he is flinching which is something I never thought I'd ever see him do.

~ Later, Thomas POV ~

"But why would Alby go into the maze?" I asked Newt, watching him and Zart cut up a tree for fire wood. "I mean, he's not a runner."

"Things are different now." Newt shrugged. 'Damn everything this man does is-

'Focus Thomas!' I scolded myself.

"Alby went to retrace Ben's footsteps before sundown. Minho is his backup. Are you gonna help?" Newt looked at me with frustration on his face.

"So he's gonna go back to where Ben was just stung?" I asked ignoring Newt's question.

"Alby know's what he's doing, all right?" Newt spoke to protect Alby so fast it kinda made jealous. "He knows better then any of us."

I looked at him weirdly. "What do you mean?"

"It's like you heard, yeah?" Newt spoke after taking a deep breath. "Every month, the Box sends up a new arrival. But someone had to be first, right? Someone had to have spent a whole month in the Glade, alone. That was Alby." I took in what Newt had said, and part of me had a new found respect for the first Glader.

"I mean, it can't have been easy." Newt shrugged. "But when those other boys started coming up, one after the other, he saw the truth. And he learned that the most important thing is that we all have each other. Because we're all in this together."

I looked at Zart, then I looked at Chuck and finally Newt. I did want to be part of this. I wanted to help and be apart of what these boys were all about- family. After a few seconds pondering Newt's words, I got up and started chopping away at the tree, trying to help my friends as much as I could.

"Yeah. There you go, Greenie." Newt smiled at me the smile that made my heart soar.

~ Later ~

 We were all in homestead because it was raining, Maddie was right next to me with her hand on her chest. I put my arm around her to comfort her, I smiled a bit when she leaned into my touch like I was comforting her, which was my plan.

"They should be back by now. What if they don't make it?" I asked looking at Newt.

"They're gonna make it." Newt said looking back at me.

"What happens when they don't?" It was a question I didn't want to ask, especially because Maddie was right there and Minho was her best friend.

"They're gonna make it." Maddie answered for him. "They have to."

~ Maddie POV ~

We were all standing at the edge of the doors waiting to see Alby, or Minho or hopefully both.

"Come on guys, can't we send someone after them?" Thomas asked. I haven't let go of him in awhile, and when I did, I was attached to Fry or Newt.

"It's against the rules." Gally said from his crouch. "They either make it back or they don't."

"Can't risk losing someone else." Newt said from beside me and Thomas. I grabbed his hand and squeezed it for a second. It's something I dis when I was scared, I would grab someones hand and squeeze it, and when I did it, it was mainly Minho. He was like my brother and gave me a sense of comfort. But now I had Newt and Thomas, and Thomas had his arm around me so I had Newt, plus Fry was on the other side of Newt, I couldn't have grabbed his hand so I was stuck with Newt, and since Newt knew that giving someone's hand a squeeze would help me calm down he squeezed it back.

 The wind signaling that the Maze would be closing, so I squeezed Newt's hand one more time before letting go and walking over to Frypan, who gave me a hug.

"There." I heard Thomas and I saw Minho dragging something... Oh no! Something happened to Alby!

"Wait no, something is wrong." Newt stated.

Everyone started yelling at Minho to drop Alby and run, but he couldn't. i knew Minho, and he wouldn't just let Alby die at the hands of the grievers.

And then my brother, my idiot brother, thought that it would be a good idea, to run into the maze while the doors were closing.

"THOMAS!!" I yelled as he made it to the other side just as the doors closed.

~ Thomas POV ~

"THOMAS!!" I heard my sister yell, but then the doors closed.

Minho looked at me and breathed out; "good job. You just killed yourself."

(A\N)

(I don't really have any thing to say other then that the next chapter will be switching from Thomas in the Maze to Maddie waiting at the doors for him to come back. I also want you all to know that I already have a plan for 'Scorch Trials' and how Maddie and Aris' relationship will progress. Hope you all have a good day or night or whatever, and always remember, even when the world seems against you, you still have someone on your side)