We Meet An Old Friend And Find A Way In

When we got to the city, we walked through a huge crowd. I could barely keep up with everyone since I was so tiny. 

"Maddie." I turned to see Aris slow down next to me and grab my hand. "So you don't get lost." 

I smiled at the boy and thanked him. 

"Why do I have to be so short?" I asked. Aris laughed. "What? How tall are you? 5'9? I'm five feet exactly! Sometimes I wonder how I'm related to Thomas since he's a shucking giant." 

"Maybe, your mom was short but your dad was tall? Maybe the other way around?" Aris shrugged. 

"Maybe. I just hate being short." 

As we made our way through an angry mob, I kept my hold on Aris' hand firm. 

"This place has really gone through hell." Jorge spoke. 

"We just gotta stay together." Thomas told us. Me and Aris tightened our grips on each other's hands. 

"We are the voice of the voiceless!" I heard someone say over a speaker. Me and Aris turned behind us to see a truck with several people in gas masks. "They hide behind their walls, thinking they can keep the cure for themselves, while they watch the rest of us wither and rot! But there are more of us then there are of them. And I say, we rise up and take back what is ours! Let's bring back a victory!" 

We all kept walking and Aris kept his grip on my hand firm as we slipped through the crowd to get to the front. 

"That's it. That's our way in." My brother told us. 

"Oh, he's gonna get us killed." I muttered. 

"Shut up. Be positive." Aris whispered to me. 

"Kinda hard to do that when you know my brother's plan will get us all killed." I responded. 

We weaved through the crowd that kept yelling to let them in. I stuck close to Aris as we made our way to the front. 

I looked behind me to see the people from the trucks with the masks on following us. 

"We should probably pick up our pace." I told Aris. He looked at me. 

"Why?" 

"Those people are following us." He looked behind us and his eyes widened. 

"Shit, your right." He said and we quickly started to try and catch up with the group. 

"Thomas!" Jorge yelled. "This is not what you're looking for. All these people trying to find a way in, you think you're gonna find something they can't?" 

"Came this far. I'm not turning back now." My brother responded. 

"Oh, he is so gonna get himself killed, one day." I muttered. Aris chuckled a bit. 

"Have some faith, will ya?" I looked at him. 

"You obviously don't know my brother." 

"What the hell did we get ourselves into?" Frypan asked. I shrugged. 

"I ask myself that everyday." I told him. 

We got to the front and Thomas put his arm around me. 

"Hey, guys, we gotta go now. Look." Newt pointed behind us to see the men in masks following us. 

I heard a weird creaking noise so I turned to see huge guns pointed at the crowd. Aris gripped my hand harder, so I did the same with his. 

Everyone started running the opposite direction of the walls. 

"Thomas, let's go." 

"We gotta get out of here!"