Chekhov's gun

"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there." From Gurlyand's Reminiscences of A. P. Chekhov, in Teatr i iskusstvo 1904, No. 28, 11 July

The Founder siblings had long since found their way back to their quiet house. But it was absolutely anything but quiet as Eliza rushed around getting ready for her play. George sat on the couch, watching his sister run back and forth and back again, gathering all that she needed. He found it funny really, Eliza so excited about a middle school play. She did however have the lead role. And she stated this fact several times. 

Eliza came bounding out from the back of the house, wearing rather strange clothes. Her normal appearance was full of color and life. Now, she wore black leggings and an oversized gray hoodie. She had also done her make-up, while very shitty, George guessed it was supposed to look like that. She had pale foundation and dark eye-shadow. 

"Remind me what your role is again?" George laughed at his younger sister. She stomped her foot into the ground.

"George, off your ass! Go we must!" She declared dramatically as she charged to the door, completely dismissing George's previous statement. George laughed and stood up. 

"Of course your highness." George jokingly bowed and followed her out the door. 

"Okay so the play is about an hour, and after well... The cast is going out to eat. Its tradition." Eliza said, sounding as if she was asking a question. 

"Okay, with what money?" George asked, hopping into the beat-down car. 

"Oh... i was uhm... hoping... that..."

"That Clay would give you money?" George finished her sentence. She settled down in her seat and buckled. He giggled as he pulled out of the driveway. "Lizzie lizard, you can't use my friends for money."

"Friends... sure." Eliza mumbled, air-quoting the word.

"I hate you."

"Sure you do." Liz giggled softly. 

"I have a spare twenty in my wallet. You gonna need a ride there?" He asked. 

"No, Angelica's mom offered to drive me and Peggy."

"Mkay." The conversation sizzled out from there. George tapped the steering wheel rhythmically as he drove. He enjoyed the soft buzz of excitement in the air. Tonight would be good for the both of them, it was a very needed distraction. 

George watched the city lights and street-lamps rush by as they drove in bliss. He counted the cars that passed by. He didn't know why he did this. A habit of his. He listened to the soft tune of the radio and the gentle hum of the engine roaring from underneath the hood.

Eliza soon put on her playlist of overly hyped up musical songs and screamed-singed along with the tracks. George found himself bobbing his head along to the beat. It was a strangely good day today. 

After a few minutes of ear-bleeding singing, George pulled up into the driveway of Clay Blocc. "Get your ass in the back." George demanded as he unlocked the door. 

"No make your boyfriend sit in the back." Liz grinned devilishly. 

"Wait no- he isn't- its just- ELIZA GET IN THE BACK." George huffed out. Eliza laughed loudly "His legs are longer than your entire body, he needs the leg room dumbass." 

"Mhm," She hummed "you just wanna sit next to him." She teased as she climbed into the back seat. Just in time too as Clay and Drista came walking out. George sighed and banged his head on the steering wheel.