Chapter 17: To Chase a Wolf

Daring stepped out of the horse-drawn carriage and looked up at Ever After High. He no longer saw its towers as a symbol of the future and his destiny... but as a trap. A trap designed to keep him from finding his true happily ever after. A place where he couldn't be himself. But he would change that, he would tell Cerise how he felt and he would make Ever After High a school where he could be himself, not his dad.

    Daring marched through the front doors and smiled. His smile wasn't "Charming" or handsome, it was just his smile. A smile that left a few moments later. Not only did he not see Cerise among the students returning from fall break, but Apple was on her way towards him.

    "Hey Daring!" She said grabbing his arm and leaning on him. "After school do you wanna go shopping with me and some of the others. We're gonna need winter clothes. I'm thinking matching jackets."

    "Yeah..." Daring edged away from her a bit, slightly uncomfortable by how touchy she was being. He was about to note this when Cerise came trudging through the front door. "Look." He said hastily as he pulled away from Apple. "I just got done with a long carriage ride, and I have a lot of stuff to do. Maybe another day?"

    "Sure." Daring could tell that Apple was disappointed, but he really didn't care. Dexter was right, he couldn't have Apple hanging on him like a lovesick puppy. He needed to look available. Huh, usually it was the older sibling that gave out love advice.

    He ran as quickly as he could to his dorm room and tossed his bags on the floor, except for his backpack, as he would be leaving for class soon. He had to hurry if he wanted to catch Cerise before she entered her dorm. Running up the steps he turned down a corridor just in time to see Cerise close her door.

    "Dang it!" He muttered to himself. At this rate, he'd never get a chance to talk with her. But one closed door wasn't going to stop him. Thinking on his toes he grabbed a piece of paper and a pencil and quickly scribbled down a note. He put his writing tools away and rushed over to the door.

   "Ugh." He slapped his forehead in frustration. He had forgotten that after everything that went on these last few years, Headmaster Grimm had taken special precautions to keep away any suspicious activity. That meant as soon as he slid the note under the door, the headmaster would be alerted. 

    Apparently, this was going to be his life now, chasing after a girl that he couldn't even seem to talk to.

    "You need help with that?" A sweet voice asked from behind him. Daring jumped. "Don't be scared," Cedar Wood stood few feet away snickering. "It's just me silly."

    "Oh, I was just going..." Daring said, turning to walk away.

    "Without getting that note to Cerise?" Cedar laughed when she saw the look on Daring's face. "Don't worry, I won't tell a soul. Here," She said holding out her hand. "I'll take it to her."

    Daring breathed a sigh of relief and handed the paper over. "Thank you." 

    Cedar smiled and nodded. "You better get going, you don't wanna be seen outside the girls' dorms do you?" Daring nodded and ran off, thanking Cedar one more time before he left. This would be a good day after all.