Chapter One: Face The Music

CHAPTER ONE: face the music

Silence. I looked around the crowded arena and saw red faces with mouths wide open and arms flailing. I could feel the beat of the drums from my feet as it surged through my body like blood flows through my veins. As I turned back around to face the shining raised platform, I noticed a human figure in the distance drifting through the air towards me. I could see that the human figure was a man. And as the human figure got closer the light began to reveal his perfectly messy head of dark black hair that was overburdened with silver glitter violently sparkling under the lights. He wore a black suit jacket with what appeared to be green streamers draping from it. He had on what i thought had to be the tightest black glimmering spandex pants I had ever seen.

The pants looked to be made out of thousands of little plastic pieces of black crystals as they would shimmer in the light each time the man shifted. Maybe it was the light, maybe it was the clothes, but the man almost appeared to be made of porcelain like a doll. So beautiful and perfect as he cut through the air above me. The last thing I noticed about the man as he looked down at the crowd from above was his gorgeous blue eyes.

Hypnotizing. His eyes were as blue as the sky on a bright sunny day and had a certain glittering charm. Now almost directly on top of me, he finally stopped moving forward and gracefully began floating down in the direction of the stage. As his feet came down and met the ground softly my senses were awakened. As if the man's feet touching down on the stage were a detonator my senses exploded, I could hear the shrieking of thousands of screaming fans and the sounds of guitars as they ripped through my brain.

The man looked at me and our eyes met. It made me panicky and excited all at the same time, i felt my checks get warm and lift in one of my goofy smiles. I was mesmerized in the moment. But sure enough, as I bounced and danced the rest of the night away the last song came to an end and the arena went black.

"And now, we face the music" said a women's voice through the speakers over the crowd. I was disappointed that the concert was over, but I had to admit that I was starving and squished in the sweaty crowd.

I squeezed my way to the back of the arena to make my escape to the outdoors. I needed some fresh air. As I pushed my body against the glass door of the exit I felt the cold November wind against my bare arms.

A sweater. I knew I was forgetting something this morning. I rolled my eyes and rubbed my arms. "Just my luck" I thought aloud to myself. I pulled on the bottom of my black t-shirt noticing that there was probably some truth to what my sister had said the other day about it being too small for me. I bit my lip as I paced slowly up and down the sidewalk just outside the arena.

There was no sense in trying to flag down a cab seeing as it was now super busy out here and I only had a ten dollar bill on me; which I had really hoped to spend on food. I made my way to the edge of the road and looked down the street both ways. To my right there was an unbelievable traffic jam and on my left there were a few small shops and a pub. My stomach growled loudly egging me to go in the direction of the pub.

I had hoped for something more appetizing than pub food but it was probably warmer in there than it was out here and I could wait inside until the throngs of people disappeared.

I stepped back from the edge of the road and followed the side walk to my left, watching my feet as I walked. Right. Left. Right. Left. I was doing pretty well with this walking thing tonight, considering how insanely clumsy I usually am. My teeth began to quietly chatter, I guess I didn't realize how cold I really was. I walked a bit faster. Right. Left. Right. Left. I looked up to see that I was now just a few more steps from the entrance to the pub. I stopped and took a deep breath.

Usually a pub or bar was the last place you would ever find me; I tried to avoid them due to all the creepy drunk people. Tonight however was different, I was cold and hungry.

I closed my eyes tightly and sighed, "Here goes nothing." I approached the big wooden door and pulled hard on the golden handle. The warm air jumped out at me from inside, at the same time so did the bitter smell of beer. I stepped through the door and stood looking around for a second before making my way to the bar, taking a seat beside a big weathered man with a long faded gray beard. I chuckled to myself at the irony of my choice of seat.

I sat on the bar stool with my legs dangling for a few minutes nervously looking around the pub. In the far corner there was a pool table with a group of oversized men in leather playing pool. I looked away quickly and pretended they didn't worry me even the slightest.

I looked down at the wooden bar counter and began zoning out when I was startled by the high pitched irritated voice of a woman. "Can I help you?" I looked up to see the bar tender. A tall woman seemingly made from just skin and bone that had about a pound of makeup caked on her face and way too much perfume. "Uh, yeah" I said with a shaky tone. "Do you have like a menu?" I don't know why I sounded so terrified I guess it was just my discontent of being in a pub shining through. The women put her hand on her hip as she stuck it out. She then tilted her head to the side a bit and obnoxiously chewed her gum. "No. Hotdog, hamburger or fries. What do ya want?" She didn't sound too impressed with my request. I sighed knowing there wasn't much I could really do about my options now. "Uh, fries sound great I guess" I shrugged. The girl rolled her eyes and trudged away. "Isn't she a peach" I thought to myself.

I looked at the time on a clock behind the bar, 11:00. I began to wish that I'd just sucked it up and walked home. I sighed at that thought. Home was about a forty minute drive from here, how in the hell was I going to get back there?

As I lost myself in daydream something caught my nose. I turned myself to the source and noticed that the weathered old man beside me smelled an awful lot like a trash can. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at this because it was just my luck.